shortages

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
look for things to not get much better for at least 1-2 years.... and prices to not come down much if at all.
Agree with this. Sad but true! It's extremely difficult on a budget and I feel that supplying as much of our own food as possible is critical. At least we eat, even if in a tent by the fire. 😁 I'm just thankful for what I have and can do.
Granted, I pay >$10 for a gallon of milk, but whatever 🙄
My goats give me milk, cream, and I make cheese. Hint! :lol::lol: but they do need feed. I do have some sales...usually covers the grain....pasture I have. Not milked much this yr but, will all next year. Staying home much more.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've noticed that organic, grassfed, etc products have price-stable. They've always been high. But with conventional prices creeping up I feel less-bad about the high prices I pay. Granted, I pay >$10 for a gallon of milk, but whatever 🙄
We have a local raw, organic dairy here, a wonderful family!!
Their gal of milk went up to $11,
I only buy 1/2 & 1/2 for coffee so lately I have been buying cheep
1/2&1/2 at costco is $3.49 a 1/2 gal
yes, $6.98 a gal of pasteurized [I dont even want to think about where it came from o_O no I should not be buying it]
compared to VERY good for you $11- well
Ya, I should do better, I have been a slacker, yes I have Almond- Coconut- and Oat milk -
rather than stress eat :gigI am stress coffee additive junk drinking :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I went to a couple stores yesterday. Not Walmart - way too many cars in their parking lot for me to stop, plus I didnt want to have to cope with their onslaught of excessive holiday marketing. Yuck.

The bigger grocery store was busier than usual (expected, 'tis the season). Shelves were sticked except one brand of ricotta that has been out of stock for months, and boxes of stuffing were picked over (again, 'tis the season).

Turkeys are about $0.20/pound over 2 years ago prices. One store is limit 1. Looks like turkey shortage didnt materialize here. I didnt expect it to - we're in a turkey producing area. On the way home, I passed a turkey farm and saw a turkey-hauling semi trailer backed up to the building. RIP birdies.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I worked jobs in grocery settings lately, I checked turkey supplies. All were adequate...maybe size you want slack but, no empty bins. The usual sale prices after buying XXX worth of other stuff. Didn't need to buy, just checking out. But things like sides...sweet potatoes, dropped from 98 to 29 a pound this week....so shoppers were happy and grabby. Get it while you can! Food is expensive and needed, I understand. Last yr I bought a 40# box at cheap and canned them.

Yeah, I avoid those big box stores this time of year. Stocked ahead of it. But if I must, fast in and out. I just am not happy with the crowds. ;) little town where I live isn't bad though, just those further out in the heavy housing cities.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I buy 1/2&1/2 occasionally. When not milking, like now, I buy. But a quart lasts me because I basically it use for cooking. Coffee? Straight up from the pot! However, when milking I drink a lot of milk.....which I've really missed this year.

it would be the whole milk fresh yogurts that i would miss the most. those are so good. i've had some where it was like i could taste the grass and the cow - and i don't mean that in a bad way at all, but it was so very distinct and i loved it. :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Took the wife to another semi local butcher shop on our drive yesterday. Just far enough away not to be a regular shopping trip. Was picking up a ham loaf for the daughter

Good thing I prefaced our stop with "I know you haven't been here before, I just want to grab the ham loaf. Look all you want, we can plan a trip later." Most of the meat is locally sourced. She found various cuts of hog jowls and other southern stuff she can never find up here. Lots of frozen potato and veggie products without sulfides that she can actually eat.

She was not amused with me when I said when we came back to do a large purchase, we would have to agree on spending limit and volume of what we buy. :D.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I worked jobs in grocery settings lately, I checked turkey supplies. All were adequate...maybe size you want slack but, no empty bins. The usual sale prices after buying XXX worth of other stuff. Didn't need to buy, just checking out. But things like sides...sweet potatoes, dropped from 98 to 29 a pound this week....so shoppers were happy and grabby. Get it while you can! Food is expensive and needed, I understand. Last yr I bought a 40# box at cheap and canned them.

Yeah, I avoid those big box stores this time of year. Stocked ahead of it. But if I must, fast in and out. I just am not happy with the crowds. ;) little town where I live isn't bad though, just those further out in the heavy housing cities.
AGREE!!!!!