shortages

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do the same, dishwasher and keep in oven on lowest heat until ready to fill. Rarely do I get a bad seal. I have only had 2 jars break in the canner in about 5 years.
My Mom and I went to my brothers for Thanksgiving last year, and my Mom and my SIL canned the leftover ham and turkey. When they opened the canner, one of the rings and lids had completely came off!
My Mom has been canning for years and said thats the first time that had ever happened. She's the one who put them on.
Couldn't believe it.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i wash them and then put em in the oven at 220 while im working. they come out warm and dry.

if ive already used the jars i wash them, and then boil them in water with vinegar to remove any hard water deposits and then bake at 220. we have REALLY hard water and it keeps them clear as new.
How long in the oven? 20 mins?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back to shortages: no grapefruits, no Spaghettios to be found for months (I think they are so gross but DD15 loves them cold), eggs were $1.99 at the store (I said an extra thanks to my chickens today) and no frozen chickens wings. We have some whole chicken and sections in the freeze but DH really wants a plate of just wings.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Back to shortages: no grapefruits, no Spaghettios to be found for months (I think they are so gross but DD15 loves them cold), eggs were $1.99 at the store (I said an extra thanks to my chickens today) and no frozen chickens wings. We have some whole chicken and sections in the freeze but DH really wants a plate of just wings.
Oh my gosh my super picky 4 year old is obsessed with spaghettios with meatballs and I can’t ever find them. It’s the only shortage that has affected me much 🤣

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my gosh my super picky 4 year old is obsessed with spaghettios with meatballs and I can’t ever find them. It’s the only shortage that has affected me much 🤣
We have the meatball ones here!!! I can ship you some ;) lol, my daughter only likes the plain ones.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

the past few months Mom has been buying them at WW for something like $0.69/can and she commented to me a few weeks ago that they were out of the regular ones but the shelves were full of the ones with meatballs. and then the next time she went the name brand kind was stocked so she got those instead (as they were out of the WW brand). i told her i'd be willing to eat the ones with meatballs too, just to try them, but the last time she went the WW ones were back on the shelf so she stocked up with those. i can eat them cold right from the can as a quick meal. they are not quite the same as the name brand, but close enough for what i do to them. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Exactly, needed for initial processing. I always have more jars than rings. Just how I watched growing up. Lolol

we leave the rings on for protection since we stack the jars rather high, but we do put a few layers of cardboard between the cases of jars to help make sure there's no crazy stuff going on there. rarely have any chips or cracks but once in a great while stuff happens (when cleaning a jar out or when moving them around might ding one off another).