shortages

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Checked some auctions. Relatively few close and most large equipment. Some online livestock....shipping from sites would be 2-3x cost of animals. I'm pretty far east of most "farm" areas.🤷

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am in more "farming country" than @Mini Horses here in the western part of the state. A fair number of auctions/sales and you will find that wire and gates and such bring as much OR MORE than going to buy new... all these "wannabe farmers" with their 5-10-20 acre "farmettes" that work and have the farm to play on, on the weekend, will spend way more than stuff is worth used... and think they got a bargain... sometimes find things on craigslist but they are gone as fast as they are listed....

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the poor tomato harvest and shortage has been news for some months. i'm always so glad we grow our own and can them. it's a huge reason we garden and can to begin with.

before that for me the news was about the hot pepper crop that didn't go well. luckily i've been rescued the past few days from the bottle my brother wasn't using. it's much hotter than the previous bottle i had so i don't need to use very much at all.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am in more "farming country" than @Mini Horses here in the western part of the state. A fair number of auctions/sales and you will find that wire and gates and such bring as much OR MORE than going to buy new... all these "wannabe farmers" with their 5-10-20 acre "farmettes" that work and have the farm to play on, on the weekend, will spend way more than stuff is worth used... and think they got a bargain... sometimes find things on craigslist but they are gone as fast as they are listed....
Yeah, there's a lot of LOL when used items at auction go for more than retail. We can tell when wannabes are bidding and skip the auction. Gotta know the retail and used prices before you bid! Also, set your max bid and walk away. Getting into a bidding war at the end of an auction is usually a terrible idea.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So the "in the know" buyers for suppliers are still alerting to many staples from wheat -- Ukraine war -- and suggesting products from such may be less plentiful and, of course, higher priced. Just prepare to make some bread. 😁. Buy supplies now.

We grow many things, export many, weather has been a bit(h...keep your eyes open. This will hit flour, cereal, cookies, cakes, etc.

I'm good. I'm stocked. Plenty of that once elusive yeast!!

Ya know, I remember when shortages were due to a garden crop doing poorly....or the rabbits ate your beans. A neighbor just gifted some of theirs. A cow shut down, another shared milk. The next year things might be reversed. I like those times. Trying to bring them back! Its love, respect, caring and sharing. :old :idunno:love

Last edited: