shortages

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I ordered 50 from this place. Hatch date March 14

$2.05 CCX straight run is better than $2.99 at Rural King? What's shipping cost?
IMG_20230314_165516487.jpg

I did some feed calculations, each CCX will need about 18 lbs of good feed. Last I checked a 50 lb sack of 21% meatbird is $22.00, that's about .45 a lb. Each CCX will need a minimum of about 18 lbs of feed to come up to a good processing weight. So 18x.45 = $8.10 a bird just for feed. This doesn't include the cost of the chicks.

For me to raise them, I would need bagged feed and I would be looking at 10+ dollars per chick to raise them to a good processing weight. Then process them myself.

I guess the days of raising 4 to 5 dollar CCX including the cost of the chick and feed are nowhere in sight :(

When I can buy a preprocessed and bagged whole chicken at Kroger for around $7.10. I'm thinking it's really not worth the time to raise CCX this year. But unless.maybe Rural King has $1.00 per chick that's they've fed for a week plus already panic attack 😂
Screenshot_20230315-130914.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep 50 lb sack of 21% Meatbird is still $21.99 at Rural King. I ain't buying any at that price, I didn't just fall of the turnip truck, yesterday!

IMG_20230315_173958553.jpg

They also had at least 2 week old well fed turkeys for $6.00, down from $10.00. I was there 2 weeks ago those turkeys are the same turkeys, just a lot bigger.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep 50 lb sack of 21% Meatbird is still $21.99 at Rural King.
No RK near me but prices for feed are just skyrocketing! I shop at a private, old time feed store -- where I buy MOST of my feeds -- isn't close but used it for about 30 yrs. You can still buy bulk seed there 🤗 and plants at "reasonable" prices. I can save as much as $.50- $1.50 a bag on feed!

Even so....50# bags....
Sr horse feed $26.65
Dairy goat. 18.99
Alf pellets. 20.99
Chkn scratch. 17.99

It adds up both ways....buying what you need and savings on every bag. Plus, I like supporting the store. No mills around me anymore 😟. I saved enough yesterday to get a "free" bag, vice TSC...which is close. Usually I get feed on a day I work in a store that's only a couple miles from there.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of our local stores had bags of legs/thighs for .39lb last week. I didn't get any because I've just got too many irons in the fire to can any right now. But, when I can get it for that price I have no plans to raise meat birds. Often there are backbones attached to the thighs and I can those for dog food. It's a win/win.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a couple of customers that pay me $7 per pound for chicken. Each one wants 10 chickens. I pasture raise them in chicken tractors, moved daily and ferment their feed. What I make on the ones I sell will pay for or significantly decrease the cost. I can supply my daughter and family with chicken.

I got my 50 chicks this morning. For the next 2 1/2 months, I will be catering to some labor intensive chickens.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If I had buyers, I might rethink. BUT the butchering is the worst part. Being only person in household, I don't need so many. The extra roos from hatch birds are plenty. I'm a white meat fan but bought 40# of thighs a short while back at $.29 per #. I cannot raise for that...and no butchering! :lol:

Most of my birds are the dual purpose types, who forage well and lay pretty decent as well. Makes for less work for ME, plus I can butcher fewer at a time as wanted.

We all have our personal situations for accomodations and willingness or need to commit. Right now, the economy is a volatile thing. Suggestions from others makes sense and offer options we may not have considered. Very helpful.

I'm looking at a lot of meat goat youngsters this year. Thinking at least one will be wethered and grown out a little longer for my own freezer this winter. It's a red meat, similar to beef taste. When used in seasoned dishes -- chili, stew, etc -- it's a toss up. Now a good beef steak, can't replicate that! :drool. But roasts, etc...don't tell & taste great as imposter. It's here & paid for. 👍

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
One of favorite butcher shop has boneless skinless chicken breasts 40# for $1.79 per pound. It is frozen, but still. Locally grown.

All of the cases Saturday were chock full.

Our freezers are full and we have plenty canned.

Last edited: