Should I get a gift for a loss of a horse?

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My neighbor buried a horse this morning. I noticed the bulldozer pulling in her driveway. Then saw them lift up one of her white horses to put in the grave. :hit I'm very sad for her although we are not close. It's not that we don't get alone we just keep to ourselves mostly. However I would like to get her something to let her know that I am sorry for her loss. I know that this is a sad day for her. What should I get for her? Flowers? Baked goods (although I'm not that good a baker), candy? What's a good gift for a loss of a horse?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Unless you are in an area/culture where giving gifts for bereavement is expected (I've never lived anywhere like that, but it's a big ol' world out there), I would suggest a nicely-worded note (or card) of condolences.

Pat

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I had to put down my long-time riding horse about 4 years ago and my employees at the time got me fresh flowers with a short note saying simply, "I'm sorry for your loss." It really did make me feel better knowing that they understood that it was in fact a loss. A simple note mailed to her will be an appreciated gesture.

Paula

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always send a sympathy card when I hear about the passing of someone's animal, even if it's just an aquaintance (they make sympathy cards for pets now, too). Sending flowers would definitely be a nice gesture. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I treasured all the cards I got when I had to put down my horse. It would be a wonderful gesture. If you ever took pics of the horses, include those, too. Even if they are "bad." Maybe a note about how much peace and enjoyment you got from watching the horse in the field, etc. And an acknowledgement that the horse was a family member and you recognize the magnitude of the loss....(non-horse owners....any farm animals, really....often don't realize the depth of the relationship one can develop with an animal that does not live in the house.)

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok a card it is then. I have some blank note cards here in the house so I will use one of them. I didn't take any pics of the horses and I'm not sure exactly which white horse it was that passed. She has about 4 white and 5 other colored horses but I do enjoy watching all of them in the pasture. There was one white horse that always caught my attention. He is albino with blue eyes and not much mane or tail hair (I'm sure that is because of the albino gene). I've watched him grow since I've lived here. I hope it wasn't him. Thank you all for the advice.