1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Should I get a gift for a loss of a horse?

Discussion in 'Horses, Donkeys and Mules' started by LovinLife, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Apr 6, 2011
    LovinLife

LovinLife Lovin' The Homestead

My neighbor buried a horse this morning. I noticed the bulldozer pulling in her driveway. Then saw them lift up one of her white horses to put in the grave. :hit I'm very sad for her although we are not close. It's not that we don't get alone we just keep to ourselves mostly. However I would like to get her something to let her know that I am sorry for her loss. I know that this is a sad day for her. What should I get for her? Flowers? Baked goods (although I'm not that good a baker), candy? What's a good gift for a loss of a horse?

2. Apr 6, 2011
    patandchickens

patandchickens Crazy Cat Lady

Unless you are in an area/culture where giving gifts for bereavement is expected (I've never lived anywhere like that, but it's a big ol' world out there), I would suggest a nicely-worded note (or card) of condolences.

Pat

3. Apr 6, 2011
    mom2bbjandag

mom2bbjandag Enjoys Recycling

I had to put down my long-time riding horse about 4 years ago and my employees at the time got me fresh flowers with a short note saying simply, "I'm sorry for your loss." It really did make me feel better knowing that they understood that it was in fact a loss. A simple note mailed to her will be an appreciated gesture.

Paula

4. Apr 6, 2011
    i_am2bz

i_am2bz Lovin' The Homestead

I always send a sympathy card when I hear about the passing of someone's animal, even if it's just an aquaintance (they make sympathy cards for pets now, too). Sending flowers would definitely be a nice gesture. :)

5. Apr 6, 2011
    freemotion

freemotion Food Guru

I treasured all the cards I got when I had to put down my horse. It would be a wonderful gesture. If you ever took pics of the horses, include those, too. Even if they are "bad." Maybe a note about how much peace and enjoyment you got from watching the horse in the field, etc. And an acknowledgement that the horse was a family member and you recognize the magnitude of the loss....(non-horse owners....any farm animals, really....often don't realize the depth of the relationship one can develop with an animal that does not live in the house.)

6. Apr 6, 2011
    LovinLife

LovinLife Lovin' The Homestead

Ok a card it is then. I have some blank note cards here in the house so I will use one of them. I didn't take any pics of the horses and I'm not sure exactly which white horse it was that passed. She has about 4 white and 5 other colored horses but I do enjoy watching all of them in the pasture. There was one white horse that always caught my attention. He is albino with blue eyes and not much mane or tail hair (I'm sure that is because of the albino gene). I've watched him grow since I've lived here. I hope it wasn't him. Thank you all for the advice.