Should I OR Shouldn't I????

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
How about renting it all out to someone who wants to farm? You still own it, but you only need to get liability insurance, make repairs, and not have to see them all empty.
we've been chatting about this. we had one of Tony's acquaintenances rent out the hog barn. He could only stay in biz about 4 mos. He found out real fast how expensive it is to get into this type of operation.

And MIL has about 11 rental units. 2 houses and 9 singlewides. OH THE NIGHTMARES that go along with that is astounding. Something I never ever want to handle.
That is a big drawback to me renting it out. I know it wouldn not be cheap. Big barns and alot of land. I don't think anyone around here could afford it LOL

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hmmmm...how bout turning one of those barns into an indoor grow facility...Organic. There is a lot of money in seedlings, AND you would only be working a few months of the year and have the rest of it off if you want to. Just a thought...

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Hmmmm...how bout turning one of those barns into an indoor grow facility...Organic. There is a lot of money in seedlings, AND you would only be working a few months of the year and have the rest of it off if you want to. Just a thought...
I'm in southern Oregon, you can guess what I thought of "growing" indoors! Then again, our neighbor has a thriving outdoor crop. We've been wondering, if our goats happen to hop the fence, do they eat pot plants? Anyone have experience with this?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Donrae,

I don't know from my own personal experience but from an older trusted source (as in knowledge and NOT said product) that yes, goats will eat it.

I almost PMed you this reply but have nothing to fear so will tell this tale publicly. :D

Many years ago, I went to look at 75 organic acres for sale. The ad in the paper caught my attention due to 75 aces, organic, gravity fed spring water and last but not least, the $35,000.00 price tag.

Called the number listed in the ad and made an appointment to go see the place only to meet a 75 year young lady and we hit it off, immediately. She couldn't believe that I would even understand what the ad was talking about (for my age at the time), let alone me being so excited upon seeing the place. We worked it out through the bank and the ex-husband and I moved to the farm in February '89. The one stipulation was that she also lived there occassionally while trying to get her new place established, out of state.

As we became closer in our relationship, she admitted that she did a bit of growing for her own personal use and raised goats at that time. She'd been keeping them in a wire fence enclosure which they kept escaping from. Once the goats found her little garden, she couldn't keep them out of it and got rid of the goats as her garden was for medicinal purposes. I'm positive that the enjoyed sharing that story due to the look of shock on my face at the time! :gig

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dawn--it's legal here, I'm not sure how much you're allowed but my neighbor's garden puts my veggies to shame!

Anyway, we've been joking about how much the goats or chickens might eat if they got over there. And then joking about eating the chicken eggs the next day!

Soo........way off topic from FC's post............sorry for the diversion, it was late!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no proble, divert all ya want :lol:

Latest posts