Should There Be More?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I just got this in an email and found it very fitting for this thread:>)
Subject 3 trees:

Once therewere three trees on a hill in the woods. They were discussing their hopes and dreams when the first tree said, 'Someday I hope to be a treasure chest. I could be filled with gold, silver and precious gems. I could be decorated with intricate carving and everyone would see the beauty.'

Then the second tree said, 'Someday I will be a mighty ship. I will take Kings and Queens across the waters and sail to the corners of the world. Everyone will feel safe in me because of the strength of my hull.'

Finally the third tree said, 'I want to grow to be the tallest and straightest tree in the forest. People will see me on top of the hill and look up to my branches, and think of the heavens and God and how close to them I am reaching. I will be the greatest tree of all time and people will always remember me.'

After a few years of praying that their dreams would come true, a group of woodsmen came upon the trees. When one came to the first tree he said, 'This looks like a strong tree, I think I should be able to sell the wood to a carpenter 'and he began cutting it down. The tree was happy, because he knew that the carpenter would make him into a treasure chest.

At the second tree the woodsman said, 'This looks like a strong tree. I should be able to sell it to the shipyard.' The second tree was happy Because he knew he was on his way to becoming a mighty ship.

When the woodsmen came upon the third tree, the tree was frightened because he knew that if they cut him down, his dreams would not come true. One of the woodsmen said, 'I don't need any special wood quality from my tree, I'll take this one,' and he cut it down.

When the first tree arrived at the carpenters, he was made into a feed box for animals. He was then placed in a barn and filled with hay. This was not at all what he had prayed for.

The second tree was cut and made into a small fishing boat. His dreams of being a mighty ship and carrying kings had come to an end.

The third tree was cut into large timber and left in a pile of lumber, alone in the dark...his dreams of being the tallest tree, reaching toward heaven were gone.

The years went by, and the trees forgot about their dreams.

Then one day, a man and woman came to the barn. She gave birth and they placed the baby in the hay in the feed box that was made from the first tree. The man wished that he could have made a crib for the baby, but this manger would have to do. The tree could feel the importance of this event and knew that it had held the greatest treasure of all time.
Years later, a group of men got into a fishing boat made from the second tree. One of the men was tired and went to sleep. While they were out on the water a great storm arose and the tree didn't think it was strong enough to keep the men safe. The men awoke the sleeping man. He stood and said "Peace" and the storm stopped. At this time the tree knew that it had carried the King of Kings in his boat.
Finally, someone came and got the third tree. It was carried through the streets as the people mocked the man who was carrying it. When they came to a stop, the man was nailed to the tree and raised in the air to die at the top of a hill. When Sunday came, the tree came to realize that it was strong enough to stand at the top of the hill and be as close to God as was possible, because Jesus had been crucified on it.

The moral of this story is that when things don't seem to be going your way, always know that God has a plan for you. If you place your trust in Him, God will give you great gifts.

Each of the trees got what they wanted, just not in the way they had imagined.

We don't always know what God's plans are for us. We just know that His Ways are not our ways, but His ways are always best.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:hit Now THAT one made me cry! That was lovely, Morel! Exactly what I was trying to say but way more eloquently! :)

ldburton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I used to get discouraged looking at the Proverbs 31 woman and a wonderful friend pointed out that she didn't do everything all at once AND she had staff. There is a season...

One of my kids' favorite books was the story of the 3 trees. I gave it to my grandkids and my other kids bought copies for the their kids "someday."

Awesome reminders of our focus.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you all for inspiring me. Sometimes I feel like a drudge but now I feel blessed that I am able to do the things I do for my family and others.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Pam'spride,
I love the card idea...even just two cards a month to widows or other lonely people...that would really brighten someone's day...
I doubt my garden will ever produce much...as much as it is pretty...I seem to have a blck thumb in those areas...trying hard though:>) You are a wonderful giver Pam, thank you so much for the thoughts of how we can give.

What I do is buy a can or two of baby formula everytime I do the groceries. It goes in the foodbank bin.
I have been trying to figure out little ways to help the elderly without having them feel like it is "charity" and without them knowing it comes from me. I hate it when ppl know where it comes from.
Helping the elderly in your church is really easy!! We have prayer cards...of course you can not talk about them....but there is a lot of people who put down that they need prayer for finances.....then you can go to the church treasurer (without saying that you read it on the prayer card...just say God led you to do something)and tell them that you want "X" amount of $$ to go into the benevolence fund and you want it to go toward "Widow Patty's" electric bill.....the secratary will then call Patty ask her the name of her electric company and make a check directly out to them (Then give it to Patty to send in)....and Patty never knows who it came from because the treasurer is not allowed to tell. We have a really awesome church secratary and she is really good about this type of stuff!!

You can also donate the gas gift cards you earn from things like your Speedy reward points to single moms in the church. (I just say church because that seems to be the ONLY place I ever seem to get to go when I leave the house but there are many other places.)

Don't forget that if you see bookbags, hats & gloves, socks, toys etc on clearance after season to snag them up and then donate them to your local foodbank when your church puts the collection box out. My church....mostly because the lady who is in charge of our local foodbank also goes to my church...sets out boxes for school supplies, hat & gloves, etc for food bank. They also collect $$ for Mickey D's and Burger King gift cards and each kid at food bank gets a $5 gift card for Christmas. We got like 12 Old Navy book bags after the season for like .99 each and was able to donate them food bank. (Don't forget if you want to donate Mickey D's cards (instead of giving them the cash outright) you can get them at Giant Eagle and get your reward points.)

Another thing that is easy to do...sponsor someone in your church for an Angel Food Ministries box. I think it is $25 (last I checked but that was a year ago.) and the food is supposed to be enough for a family of 4 for one week...again 'I think'. My church does not have Angel Food ministries but the next church over does and our church helps sponsor it by promoting it and giving families in the church a box to see if it would be some thing that there family could use.

I can come up with more ideas if you all want them!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am so glad to have read this thread. All of you wonderful people have amazing lives and do so much more than you realize. You have all touched my heart and mind. Now I realize I can deal with whatever comes at me. There is a plan and I will understand it someday. :hugs

The wisdom form all of you combined could move mountains. :bow

A list of good deeds, that is where I will start. Things that I can accomplish in my own little world that can make a difference. Thank you all.