Should This Be Eliminated From the Face of The Planet?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
55 years ago, I was allergic to my mother's milk, so the pediatrition put me on soy milk until I was about 1 year old. I'm still alive, thank goodness.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Thank you for that article Makay, and to answer your question. Yes. It most definately should.

This almost has a conspiracy theory feel to it...
sorta population control gambit :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
UHT or UP milk won't make good cheese because the calcium molecules are damaged and won't allow a strong enough curd to form. Gently pastuerized milk will make cheese....the lowest legal form of pastuerization in the USA is 145 F for 30 minutes. New England Cheesemaking Supply lists suppliers that sell raw or gently pastuerized milk. This damage to the calcium also may explain why countries like the USA have such a high per capita dairy consumption and such high rates of bone loss in middle aged and older men and women. There are other factors, but this is a big one.

To make cheese with UHT or UP milk, you have to add calcium chloride to the recipe. That is why the recipes in 200 Easy Cheesemaking Recipes adds it to all the recipes. I leave it out when I use this book since I start with raw milk and don't pasteurize it at all.

As for soy, traditional Asian diets used soy products in condiment amounts and it was always fermented for at least 3 months. Fermenting does not eliminate the hormone-disrupting properties of soy, just the digestive system irritating phytates. Hence the teaspoon or so for flavoring, and not in the amounts seen in modern diets in many parts of the developed world.

Be aware that modern soy sauce is not fermented and contains some form of msg, even if not labelled as such. You have to hunt high and low to find good soy sauce. I haven't found it. Whole Foods used to carry tamari from South River Miso, but I have not been successful in finding it. When I ordered miso directly from SRM, they were out of tamari, and I still have lots of miso, so I'll have to wait....patiently......

BTW, their dandelion-leek miso is to die for! :drool

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Sorry to be MIA for a few days. :hu I had some things to do.

I am not near any legal sources of raw or pasturized milk.

I do know of an Amishman that would probably sell for animal feed use, but the penalty for getting raw milk, and transporting across state lines here is worse than if I was dealing or buying drugs so I don't want to get messed up with that. (I live near state line)

It would be cheaper to buy my own goat, but can't have one in this town. :he

I don't use much milk any more because of the UP and all of the above mentioned. :barnie

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i've been addicted to English style black tea for a long time. If you put milk in your tea it takes away the possitive effects of the phytonutrients that it has. Finally last month I gave that up so I only use raw goats milk for making raw yogurt.

and a little store bought cheese now and them. When my goats milk lady makes her goats cheese I get cheese for her. Shes not allowed to sell so we have a trade set up. Massage for milk.

I wouldn't worry about getting caught for doing trades. They would have to prove it. It is not against the law to give things away, kindnesses reciprocated for kindnesses. Just don't keep a book on it.

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is exactly why you should breast feed babies.....

(if at all physically possible)

And that's all I'm going to say, otherwise I'll probably ruffle feathers