Show me your walls

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you built solid frame panels, then put the expanded metal on the frames, that would lighten the overall trailer, I would think. But, the advantage of your wood side panels is that you will have infinite tie down options. I would go for PT at least for the floor boards. I'm not a fan of PT AT ALL! But, in this application, if I were doing it, I'd set my prejudice aside and use PT for the floor.

Will you ever use this trailer to carry animals? If so, you might consider building those side panels with spacing that will not allow an animal to get head or leg caught between the horizontals.
Yeah, normally i'd keep away from PT but for this application it makes sense.

This won't be used for animals. Just equipment, lumber and other things like that

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The expanded metal we used was not- but I believe you can get aluminum these days...we painted ours. It has lasted for years. Remiveable panels will give you infinite options- great suggestion.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I also suggest that you build those side walls so they can be removed. You never know when you will need to load something that is a bit wider than the floor of the trailer.

Perhaps build the back gate in a drop down fashion so it can double as a ramp????
Removable was a given ;). There are pull out ramps in the back as this trailer was meant for cars. I was planning on making some panels from some plywood that can quickly attach to those ramps to make a solid ramp, but that isn't necessary right away

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just make sure that you use a scrap of wood screwed to the bottom of the slats under the pockets to keep the walls from popping out when you hit a bump...