Shredded Cheese

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to buy Kraft or store brand or such cheese already shredded in the pouch. At the same time I would buy blocks of cheddar and shred my own, but when lazy did buy some already done.

I mentioned I am eating cleaner to a friend and we started talking cheese. Cheese lover here and she said the shredded is packed with fillers and additives....what? I never looked!! I just assumed that cheese was cheese..LOL...sad huh?

Well I compared block cheddar to pre-shredded and the ingredients in pre-shredded is sooooo much longer with junk than the block.

so never, ever, no more pre-shredded for me just cause I guess it is an easy way to cut some additives.

SO what food do you eat that kinda took you by surprise for ick ingredients? I truly am reading the labels now.....never used to but everytime I pick up something I haven't read before or a new product I read the label. Longer shopping time..LOL but worth it!

just chatting away! :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I used to buy Kraft or store brand or such cheese already shredded in the pouch. At the same time I would buy blocks of cheddar and shred my own, but when lazy did buy some already done.

I mentioned I am eating cleaner to a friend and we started talking cheese. Cheese lover here and she said the shredded is packed with fillers and additives....what? I never looked!! I just assumed that cheese was cheese..LOL...sad huh?

Well I compared block cheddar to pre-shredded and the ingredients in pre-shredded is sooooo much longer with junk than the block.

so never, ever, no more pre-shredded for me just cause I guess it is an easy way to cut some additives.

SO what food do you eat that kinda took you by surprise for ick ingredients? I truly am reading the labels now.....never used to but everytime I pick up something I haven't read before or a new product I read the label. Longer shopping time..LOL but worth it!

just chatting away! :)
I used to let my son pick out a can of Campbell's Soup with cartoon character pasta, like Shrek or Cars, everyonce in a while. Then I discovered not only high sodium content but MSG! I am sensitive to it; it gives me nasty headaches. So I have to try to explain to a 6 yo old why his once in a while treat is going to be even less frequent, if ever!

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! I'm naive enough to think that a package of cheese...is well-- cheese.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
inchworm said:
Thanks for posting! I'm naive enough to think that a package of cheese...is well-- cheese.
Me too! I never would have thought to look at the difference. Thanks Farmerchick!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know guys...LOL...I just thought cheese was cheese also for some reason..HA HA...just not something I thought hard about..LOL

Thanks H23....I picked up some princess noodle soups and dora soups for Nicole never thinking they would be much different than just plain old chicken noodle. I will be reading the back of those cans now also.

I guess when I assume...HA HA...I get burned. :(

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I know guys...LOL...I just thought cheese was cheese also for some reason..HA HA...just not something I thought hard about..LOL

Thanks H23....I picked up some princess noodle soups and dora soups for Nicole never thinking they would be much different than just plain old chicken noodle. I will be reading the back of those cans now also.

I guess when I assume...HA HA...I get burned. :(
Just recently I got more diligent about reading ingredients. I've checked for fat, sodium, fiber, sugar but had gotten immune to the long lists of unpronouncable stuff in our prepackaged foods. I'm still not perfect but it is helping me make better choices!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh no, cottage cheese and sour cream...well I just thought those were basic dairy products....well, now I have to see what they added..LOL

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think I have always been a label reader. Usually, the longer the list of ingrediants, the worse the product is. We shred our own block cheese for pizzas and try to buy it on sale. We have bought shredded in the past and found it goes bad really quickly!

Ketchup, spaghetti sauce and a lot of dressings have high frutose corn syrup and we so we stopped buying those brands. We make our own dressing and buy the organic ketchup (without the HFCS).

Its crazy what people eat without realizing it!! :eek:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D OH I love cheese - the best so far I've found is Cougar Gold........... YUMMY - I have to buy it on the internet and it costs me my hubby's arm and leg.