SHTF Waste Management

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
John Seymour said that the garbage truck should seldom need to pass on a self-sufficient holding.
What I think more people should strive for is to not create garbage to begin with. I think maybe go with stocking up stuff in mason jars instead of just buying everything in in cans is a start. Keep glass spaghetti sauce, salsa, and pickle jars for canning or to organize your sheds by screwing the lids to the rafters or under a shelf for small items like screws. Cut and reuse rags instead of buy paper towels and toilet paper. Buy stuff used so you can get a better price and less cardboard and plastic.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

When systems shut down, garbage accumulates. SHTF solutions tend to rely on trash - mylar wrapped foods, plastic water bottles, etc.

Anything longer than a couple weeks will cause sanitation /rodent /space problems.

What is your short-term (less than a month) and long term (over a year) SHTF trash solution?
reduce, reuse, compost, and burn whats left.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We burn what can be burned safely, cardboard, paper, wood, used oil, etc... Fowl gets scraps and food waste. Metal goes into the metal pile for reuse or recycling. It's all the darn plastic that would get us.

I suppose I could turn farm truck into a garbage truck and take to the "refuge center" where is goes aways, when the trash company picks up our trash weekly.

Good thread BTW 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Latest posts