Sick chicken- RIP Kelly :(

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
my girl Kelly is still not well. Not getting dramatically worse but not getting better either. She eats a little, has the runs and is no longer sleeping on the roost....she just snuggles into a corner.

She does not feel egg bound and does not seem to have sour breath.

She is just moving slowly, often a bit puffed up and mostly laying down somewhere. I really do not know what to do for her.
Advice?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We've had so many chickens die of marek's that now I think every chicken that isn't behaving normally has come down with it.

I usually bring my unwell chickens in the house, so I can pamper them. I try to give them food with greater nutritional value, yogurt, canned corn, eggs and lots of other goodies we have around. I figure they need more in order to fight off whatever is getting them down.
I also like having them in the house, because then we can observe them better. The temperature in the house is usually more comfortable too.

I have several pet carriers for this purpose, a baby gate for the bathroom that we keep the chicken in, and lots of old towels to put on the floor. I will also put a hot pad on the floor for the chicken, if it is too cold. We still use this bathroom, while the chicken is in there. The chicken doesn't mind.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I brought her in and gave her bottom a warm bath. Her abdomen feels a little swollen, but then again I have never really felt it before :idunno

Washed away to poo and let her sit in the water for a few minutes....wrapped her up in a towel and she is all snuggled up in a baby pool in the laundry room. I put an old comforter in the bottom of the pool so it should be comfy. Tried to give her some water but she was not interested. I will try some yogurt in a little bit.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
sorry about your little friend! its so hard to tell.... she doenst have weirdly yellow or green poo, does she??? just the runs?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
As far as I have noticed it is normal color, just runny. I just took another look and I think I am becoming convinced that she is egg bound. I will am going to give her another warm soak in about 15 minutes.

How long can an egg bound hen last? I first noticed she was not well several days ago, but I thought it was her crop...she seemed to be doing a little better, but I don't know, maybe it was never her crop at all.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
During her second bath I found little worms swimming around. I was rubbing on her vent area and abdomen....ewwwwy.

Now what the heck do I do?

Poor thing.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Go to the feed store. They have the medication your bird needs.

You can also feed her pumpkin seeds if she will eat them and put some DE in her feed.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ok...so I guess everyone has them huh?

Poor bird. I am a bad mommy! :(

They have so much DE in their coop, I thought that prevented worms!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Give her and the rest a good bit of cayenne pepper in some nice plain yogurt. Mine get this about once a week or so. Also what WZ said, pumpkin seeds do work well too. I usually toss a handful in the mix when I can.

They aren't supposed to taste the heat in cayenne pepper, so it wont hurt them.

Good luck!