Sick chicken- RIP Kelly :(

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Kelly died last night :(

I feel so bad, I probably could have saved her if we had not gone out of town...those couple of days I did not give her any attention. Poor girl.
At least she is in chicker-doodle heaven and out of pain now.

Very sad morning here.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss Dace. I know it is especially hard with your first hens that you consider pets. If you don't mind me asking do you think it was worms that did it? I am not familiar with that.

:hugs anyways,

gina

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
sorry honey. its ok to work up a big fat cry over your little friend. i get all sobby over my chickies... we lost one (my hubby had to 'take care of her') and i cried and cried. she was one of the unnamed rabble but she sure was a good layer.

RIP Kelly - tell my little friend 'hi' there in the big hen yard in the sky.

and no... i dont think it was b/c you left town. we was probably barely hanging on as it was. we know you tried.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Sniff sniff....thanks everyone.

I feel really bad.

Gina...she started acting funny last week, kind of lethargic. I thought it was her crop as she was not eating but drinking a lot. I massaged it for a bit and then the next day she seemed better, not completely but much perkier. She remained the same, not as perky as usual, but eating and drinking. Then on Thanksgiving I noticed that she was not up on the roost, she was settled in on the ground, which was weird. Then the next day we went out of town, Saturday when we got home it was chicken bed time, so I didn't pay her any attention. Sunday I brought her in and gave her a warm sitz bath thinking that perhaps she was egg bound and that I when I found worms. Monday I got wormer but it was just too late.

I don't know if it was the worms or if she was egg bound. The other three girls are healthy, but I gave them some wormer too, as they probably have them too. The guy at the feed store said I was giving them too much table scraps :he he thinks that is how she got worms.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Dace, I am so sorry you lost your little Kelly.
Don't feel so bad. Life interferes with stuff like realizing you have a sick chicken on your hands. It has happened to me so many times.

You did what you could. It is not like you really could have stayed home, because of a possibly sick chicken. I am sure you will learn something from this and maybe you'll be able to catch something sooner next time. But believe me, invariably something else happens and you go "if only I woulda, coulda, shoulda".

It is more important to pay attention to your children and do family stuff. And I am sure that is what you were doing. You are still a good chicken momma.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have worms too?

Obviously it would depend on what you've been eating; but remainders and left overs of the foods you've been eating probably would not be giving the chickens worms.

But you know a lot of feed store workers.. :rolleyes:

Latest posts