Sick Chicken~ Update

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Kelly was slow to get off the roost this morning which I thought was odd.

This afternoon I just went out to check on her and she was laying down. looking odd. She stood up when I saw her, but then as I stood there she started to nod off....closing her eyes and head falling forward a bit till she caught herself. The only physical thing I notice is
that she has a bit of a poopy butt....but has off and on for a while.
Advice?!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
No she is just kind of hunkered down and moving only when forced...and very slowly. I tried to give her some yogurt and she would not eat any.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Is she perhaps egg-bound?

I've not got much experience with that, but feel around under her - you would be able to feel the egg in her if that is the case.

If her bum is still poopy, wash it off, so its nice and clean, and if possible put some kind of oil on her bum area (ok vent area! :lol: ) that will keep the next poop from sticking as well.

Check her crop as well, feel around to make sure its not full first thing in the morning, if its full when she just woke up - then there is a problem there.

I hope she feels better soon :/

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Okay thanks.
It's 3:30 in the afternoon and she has already gone into the roost two hours early.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Dace said:
Okay thanks.
It's 3:30 in the afternoon and she has already gone into the roost two hours early.
:( I hope she makes it through the night, check her crop first thing in the am, before she has a chance to eat anything.

And just check her over for anything that doens't look right. Her comb will probably be dull grey if she's sick.

Poor girl!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace, I think she could be eggbound. I had one that acted just like that. What I did was soak her in a warm tub of water for a bit, while gently massaging her abdomen. I dried her off, put her in a crate and kept her warm and she laid 3 eggs over the course of a few hours and then was fine.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Poor little thing, I hope she is alright.

So that is how they act when they are eggbound? It has never happened here, knock on wood.

When you get a chance, give us an update. :hugs

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Had to take Hubby to the airport, then to a cheer meeting. Kids tucked in the chickens for the night and confirmed that she was in the coop.

Javamama, I will try that first thing in the morning. I hope she makes it thru the night. :(

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Kelly made it thru the night!

She came out of the coop with everyone this morning and looks better than she did yesterday.

Her crop does feel fuller than it should and she does not feel egg bound....not that I would know what the feels like, but I think I would feel some distention.

So it would seem she is having crop trouble? She has not eaten but did drink quite a bit of water.

What can I do to help her? Yogurt?