Sick Chicken~ Update

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
First of all, YEA!!!!! :weee I can breath now. :hugs (Aren't we such a close knit cyber family here? I was really worried about a chicken I've never met owned by a person I've never met formally.)

Second, now that she made it through the night I can tell you how much I love her name, Kelly. So perfect for a hen. :)

Please keep us updated on sweet Kelly. Thanks miss_thenorth for posting that thread.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks Ladies!

I had a hard time sleeping last night thinking that I should have gone out there in the dark to get her. I am so relieved that she made it!

By the way she is Hubby's chicken (when I ordered them I got 6 so we all got to choose one and name it) He named her Kelly Pickler (after the girl from American Idol a few years ago) He likes to put on a southern accent and say her name. I call her Kelly Peckler :gig

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Kelly is still poking around in the run....pecking at the ground here and there, but doesn't seem interested in eating.

I took out two bowls of treats one for the girls who were sunning them selves :rolleyes: and then I snuck a separate bowl over to Kelly. I gave her just plain yogurt with a drizzle of EVOO. She was not interested at all. As soon as the others get a whiff of that yogurt it will be gone....hopefully the tomato and strawberry trimmings will keep them busy for a while till Kelly eats some.

She is drinking a lot of water I noticed.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Try googling some information on impacted crops. My friend dealt with this a few months ago. I think it involves massaging the crop to induce vomiting. It did not turn out to well.
:hugs gina

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, this may sound like a bit of odd advice....but. Pick up Kelly...and smell her breath. Yes....put your nose right up there to her little beak, and give it a good whiff. If it smells sour...say...like sileage..or rotten wet feed...then she has sour crop. IF she has the sour crop, there are a few things you can try.
1. Get some olive oil, ( I used vegetable oil too) Put some in an eye dropper, and drip it along her beak. She will instinctively start "drinking" it. Do this a few times....make sure to get quite a bit in her. Give her about 5 minutes or so...and what I did, was to hold her upside down by her feet...and after she stops flapping around....gently message her crop. This will induce vomiting. Make sure she is upside down, so she doesnt asperate into her lungs.
2. Make a solution of dry oatmeal, and veggie oil..and make sure she is eating it. The oil will help to loosen whats in there, and hopefully pass it.
If you dont smell sour crop...it could be a load of worms. Have you checked her poo? Is it normal...stiff, brown/black and white? Worming her might be the answer.
Also...check her for lice/mites. They will make her very lethargic. Check her vent area, under her wings, and at the back of her head.
I hope she makes a full recovery....keep us posted!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wow Justy...crap.

Ok, I will do that tomorrow. I tried to get her to take yogurt a few times but she had no interest. I did try to massage her crop a bit to loosen it up, which is something I had read but honestly I was afraid I was going to hurt her.

Flipping her upside down is gonna piss her off! But ok, will do. I will try to get some oil in her first....well FIRST I will sniff her breath!