Simple & Easy Home Aquaponics - Hydroponics ?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You should find everything you need! Have fun! FWIW, I use shop lights for hydroponics and seedlings: LED and Flourescent day light spectrum.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have filled up a couple of 10L containers to gas off and then I will give it another go. I have tried growing in Seasol before but I think I had the levels wrong as growth was too fast and then none at all. I will have to pay closer attention this time. The brands mentioned in this thread are not available here and I think seasol is the closest I can get but it just hasn't worked well. I thought maybe it needed some epson salt added but I am not sure how much. I have some powerfeed liquid so maybe I will experiment with that too.

I have been looking at the aquaponic pods as that would come set up and ready to go, but I would like to see how big they are in person before purchasing and that might be a few weeks off with the current virus restrictions. I just don't think I am capable of converting my pond until I have something up and running on a smaller scale. Plus, the pond is on the west side of the garden and gets hot afternoon sun, the grow bed would do better with morning sun.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Absolutely. Generally, the lettuce will reach full harvest size before the nutrients in the container are used up.
Fruits & vegetables grown in a hydroponic greenhouse: tomatoes. Wine plants, such as tomatoes, are suitable for indoor gardens, as they need a limited amount of ground space, and you'll have room to train them to the ceiling.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe I get started with mason jars and use the rainwater near the barn because we use feeder goldfish to eat the mosquito larvae. Then if it works DH might be game for helping me cut the PVC pipe and drilling holes etc.... thanks for the inspiration. I will start germinating seeds! I need some plastic cups.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay so maybe I went a little crazy. So under the paper towel I have a few different varieties of lettuce, cherry and standard size tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, spinach and onion sets seeds, started in a little mud. I picked up some river pebbles at our local building supply and I was going to use the mason jars but then I was like..... I still gotta buy some plastic cups that will fit inside so I cut the water bottles DH is so fond of buying and shoved the funnel part inside with the caps on and cut out slits for the roots. I just need to fetch some rainwater and fertilizer and put pebbles in the tops when I transfer and shake off most of the mud. DH might check me into a special place. Nah!! He will never find anyone who can pluck birds like me so I’m good.

Attachments

• B2AA8933-89B4-4FF5-B565-26B7E8453C3E.jpeg
    B2AA8933-89B4-4FF5-B565-26B7E8453C3E.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 131