SIMPLE White Sandwich Bread

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
As one of my projects for my free time this week I wanna experiment with bread. What is your most simplest, best tasting white sandwhich bread recipe?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
My favorite bread to bake is a very eggy challah. It's in my Jewish holiday cookbook though and my Imooto has it lol. Since I don't bake often at all anymore, I keep forgetting to get it back from her.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
valmom said:
Darn- I thought you had one!
:pop
Me, too.

I have managed to make great bread but it isn't great for sandwiches.

:pop

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Breads, in general, will better for slicing if you add some wheat gluten. It really makes all the difference...

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have you tried waiting to slice the bread until it is at least a day old? I have found that works best rather than cutting just a few hours after it comes out of the oven. I've also found that the little bread slicer doo-hickeys are great for keeping the slices uniform. My neighbor bought me one from goodwill for a couple bucks.

That being said, my bread isn't all that great for sandwiches either.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Instead of adding the gluten - for those of us who can't have that stuff (and even those of you who can) - try adding an extra egg or two to your sandwich bread recipe.

It makes it light, fluffy and hold together better. ;)

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here is my favorite bread machine recipe! :D

2 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup oil
1 tspn yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tspn salt
1 1/8 cup water (or 1 cup + 2 Tbsp)

I mix it in the bread machine and then toss it in a pan let it rise and bake at 350 for 25 minutes

It's REALLY good!! I sometimes add things to it. Like, one time I put in whole garlic cloves at the final mix... sometimes raisins and cinnamon... It's a good base, and it's good by itself as well!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
1 1/2 cups mik, water or whey
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp molasses
3 3/4 cups flour. ( i use whole wheat but I have used white in the past and it works fine---if it is too wet, add a bit more flour, slowly)
I mix this int he bread maker. Once the dough is ready, divide into ttwo loavesand put in greased loaf pans. Let rise for 50-60 mintues.
Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, till top is a nice golden brown colour. Remove and let sit for 15 mintues and then remove from loaf pan to cool on wire rack. Wait at least an hour before slicing it. and an elelctric knife is recommended.

This makes awesome sandwich bread. I have been making it for about 7 years.

eta the yeast amount. duh.....bit no one noticed anyways, so..... anyways, in case anyone is interested, it is 1 1/2 tsp.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Have you tried waiting to slice the bread until it is at least a day old? I have found that works best rather than cutting just a few hours after it comes out of the oven. I've also found that the little bread slicer doo-hickeys are great for keeping the slices uniform. My neighbor bought me one from goodwill for a couple bucks.

That being said, my bread isn't all that great for sandwiches either.
Nope. Waiting for fresh bread is taboo. Hot from the oven; forget the sandwiches.

Latest posts