SIMPLE White Sandwich Bread

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay... I'm trying to make this... and it's not looking like it's rising at all... it's been in there for about 45 minutes. Did I miss something??

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm trying the bread too, but I'm using the other recipe on this thread, the one with yeast. I'll let everyone know how it turns out in the bread machine.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Do I use self rising, MTN? And would a duck egg hurt it?
I am not familiar with self rising flour, so I would have to say no. and I have never put an egg in it, so IDK.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I edited my post. I remembered last night aftert I went to bed that I forgot to put the yeast amount, and I have been busy all day. I'm surprised no one asked about that? Anyways, glad you put some yeast in it BB, and sorry nacho, if you didn't, my deepest apologies about forgetting the yeast.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I edited my post. I remembered last night aftert I went to bed that I forgot to put the yeast amount, and I have been busy all day. I'm surprised no one asked about that? Anyways, glad you put some yeast in it BB, and sorry nacho, if you didn't, my deepest apologies about forgetting the yeast.
Oh.. it's okay... my lil man likes it.. LOL I'll go ahead and make another batch with yeast this time! :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
MTN it was so good!! BUT it didnt rise at all. It sat on the porch for forty five minutes and then in the oven (with min temp on) and it didnt rise much. So I may try and make a half batch tommorow. With self rising flour.

I put around a tsp of yeast.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
MTN it was so good!! BUT it didnt rise at all. It sat on the porch for forty five minutes and then in the oven (with min temp on) and it didnt rise much. So I may try and make a half batch tommorow. With self rising flour.

I always use about a tablespoon of yeast. I heat my liquid to very warm (not hot!) and add the yeast to the warm liquid, then add that to the dry ingredients when it's nice and bubbly.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
JRmom said:
BarredBuff said:

I always use about a tablespoon of yeast. I heat my liquid to very warm (not hot!) and add the yeast to the warm liquid, then add that to the dry ingredients when it's nice and bubbly.
I did that as well........with the water and heating.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A lot of different things can contribute to bread not rising properly. I say keep trying! Practice makes perfect. And it still tastes yummy!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im gonna try again tommorow. We have almost ate both loaves............ :hides