YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got sheep again, so thought I'd start a thread for sheep...we don't have many on here and none that are new.

I got a few Katahdin ewes, one 7 yrs and the other 3 yrs. Will be getting a ram lamb from Farmfresh, which a good friend will be transporting for me. He will arrive mid August and I can't wait to have some of her stock here in WV!

Still working on the sheep shelters and pens, as well as fencing for paddocks. This weekend we transported some HUGE free pallets from a sheet metal place, to use for some of the paddock fencing.

Here's a pic of a few of those....they are all 10-12 ft. long and 4-5 ft wide with 4x4 or 3x3 bones and 1/2 to 1 in. "skin" boards. Read HEAVY and bulky. Had to rent two trailers from Uhaul to transport them and made 3 trips with two trailers, so got 6 lg stacks of pallets plus a tiny stack I had tried to haul in my 4x8 utility trailer...prayed all the way home with those in a toad strangler rain.

View attachment 11844 View attachment 11843 View attachment 11842 View attachment 11841
...and the sheep, Shine and Rose. Shine is the dominant sheep and quite wild and bossy. Rose is slowly getting more tame and will even let me brush her now while she's eating.
View attachment 11840 View attachment 11845

These were bargain basement sheep, so not as large as I would have liked nor with the greatest of conformation, but they are the sheep God brought to me and so I thank Him for them! They are starting to grow on me, as sheep tend to do...lots of intelligence and a truckload of personality wrapped up on sheepskin.

Will be building on their sheep shed today and also outfitting a couple of stanchions, as I intend to milk these ewes. They won't yield much, but that's all I need to make a little cheese.

Right now I have a temporary hoop shelter and also am utilizing a spare chicken pen for two different shelters and pens that are divided by a pallet fence. It ain't pretty but it will do until my son and I can do a pole sheep barn next spring of a more permanent nature.

Sheep!! My most favorite of all livestock....I praise God for His provision for and of the sheep. :celebrate :weee
The fence seems strong and sturdy... It's better if it has some metal parts. and I hope you'll secure it with a good quality waterproof paint.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Temps here are hitting in the high 80’s. Yesterday we were outside slaughtering chickens and it was hot. We always set up under two big oak trees for their shade. God provided a cooling breeze all day, I never broke a sweat. Surrounded by the beauty God created, we were serenaded by His song birds while we worked. We thanked God for the big beautiful meat chickens that will feed 3 families.

It sounds like a blessed time, Bay! I love days like that, when you bask in the blessings of God and are cooled by a breeze while you do so. I spend most days around here like that, just thanking God as I chore along, for the beauty of the spring, for the gift of land and the joy of working as unto the Lord.

I love it that you are putting up winter's meat already! You've got a jumpstart on us all.

Had a broody hatch yesterday, not as large as the last one but a good half doz. chicks, so I'm grateful for each one. Will set two other broodies onto nests this morning.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Don't "gentle" your rams. Makes them dangerous. The more afraid they are of you, the safer you are.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That is wonderful Bee. A ewe lamb to add to the flock, ram lambs for sale and meat. Are you going to wether the ram lambs?

It would simplify things but may bring down the price of any we wish to sell. I think we'll make that decision when we wean in July...at that time we may have to separate the flock and run the rams in opposite paddocks from the ewes.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A few pics of the sheep and dogs on paddock rotation into a new paddock....we are open grazing this paddock in the interest of just getting them used to this new field that is out of sight from the house. When next we do this one, it will be sectioned off into several smaller paddocks so we can greater impact the soils as we graze it.
100_1939.JPG
100_1947.JPG
100_1948.JPG
100_1950.JPG
100_1951.JPG
100_1952.JPG
100_1956.JPG
100_1960.JPG
100_1962.JPG
100_1939.JPG
100_1947.JPG
100_1948.JPG
100_1950.JPG
100_1951.JPG
100_1952.JPG
100_1956.JPG
100_1960.JPG
100_1962.JPG

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you could transplant grasses to your pastures or cut it when it goes to seed and spread the “hay” on your pastures.