baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can’t tell you how many “temporary” animal pens and shelters I’ve made in the last 4 1/2 years. Still have a lot of temporary stuff but it has enabled me to see what works before I built something permanent that does not work.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:D These rams & bucks are like teenage boys -- try you in a second! When I disciplined my bucklings, it was with a loud grumbly "aaaaattttt" (mostly from horse days. LOL) . It sticks with them and now, as physically grown but mentally unsure, if they even LOOK like they want a challenge, that loud sound makes them think again. They remember "mom rules!!". I'm certain you do similar. But, we need to teach the young handlers that voice sounds are critical....for good and bad actions.

I laugh when a goat or five get out and someone stops, asking to "help" get them back. Nope -- then call them with the "feed time" sounds and they race to get to me! It seems to astonish many. :D I thank them, then look for escape route. Actually, if I am the one who sees them out, I call from the field and they show me where the break is -- coming in the way they got out.:rolleyes:

If science would research goat brains we may wipe out Altzhimers. Their memory & retention is amazing.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DE is best used in the garden for slugs. And... it's expensive, when there are many products that work at least as well if not better that are either free or cheaper. DE is very hard on the lungs, can cause respiratory distress. Only effective when dry. Once it enters the digestive system, it is not dry! And the risk of inhalation or even aspiration is high enough that I'd not want to risk giving it to an animal. It's one of those "they say" products that has a reputation of being beneficial, but the reputation is merely anecdotal. One gal showed a pic of red mites happily crawling through a pile of DE. For years, BYC folks have been advocating tossing it around in the coop to kill red mites.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My opinion; I believe we are all stewards of our land. Some are better at it than others, some are destructive and some don’t care. Here on this forum we recognize that our lands are a gift to be treasured and cared for, whether a small backyard, many hundreds of acres or a pot of dirt on a windowsill. By whatever means to improve our lands that we choose to care for and improve our lands, if that method works for one and not another, that’s great for that one, and the other tries something else. It is wonderful that we can come to the FREE forum to share ideas, encourage each other, applaud success and commiserate failure.

So just what the he!! Is there to argue about anyway? Just because I may or may not use mob grazing doesn’t make it good or bad. It’s what works or doesn’t work for each of us.

A freakin ‘ WAR? Really? :lol:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was happy to see that the "Food Stamps" system in the US (now called SNAP, I guess) now includes the purchase of seeds and plants for the production of food. Not sure how many on the SNAP program will take advantage of it, but at least the idea is there.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee, you get all my bonus points today. Excellent post about the current state of affairs, and where this world is heading.
I do agree with you. I respect Bee and have followed her for some time, just don't post much. We can all learn from one another and with this, you glean from others. God, does not make only one right way he provides us with different ideas and different paths so we can learn from each other from this wonderful place we call home. I have made many mistakes in my adventure on this earth and some techniques I use work and others that worked for some did not work for me but I learn and respect others. Boy, I hope this makes sense LOL.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This morning, with the weather turning cold and rain pouring down, mating season has commenced. Virgin ram met 7 yr old Rose, who was the only one that would stand for him. About wore him out trying to reach her successfully....he's still a tad short.

Shine, who I thought was the only one heating up, wouldn't stand today....I might have missed her heat, as she was backing up to him through the fence a few days ago, but is butting heads with him now.

The ewe lambs are singularly uninterested in him and he's only shown them a passing glance.

Hope he can get the job done this month, as I'd like to have April lambs, if possible. Now that he's finally had a chance to complete the act, he should be turning on the male hormones a tad more strongly.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
the aquarium heater is something i suggested in TEG for someone else, but the problem with them is that they are often made of glass and they shouldn't ever dry out. having them protected enough from the animals and from drying out will always be important.

the other aspect to consider would be capacity to heat if there is a lot of demand. you'll need more watts for more water flow and colder input water temperature in the winter months. at some point you will also run up against how much juice the extension cords should be carrying. don't want any fire hazards anywhere!

These are being used inside an insulated 4 gal. water cooler(has a lid), so no exposure to the animals nor colder input of water on a regular basis, but merely to top off the cooler every now and again. Sheep don't drink a whole lot, especially in the winter months, so the water levels wouldn't vary drastically before needing a top off. Since the cooler is insulated, the aquarium heater is keeping it pretty warm in there, even with temps in the teens. I'm pleased with that aspect of the system....it's the delivery to the drinker nipple/basin that has become the problem in cold weather.

That's something I'm going to try to solve by not using hose and nipple cup, but a direct float valve into a basin that is heated. Mostly this system is to keep water cool and fresh in the summer months, but I'm hoping to work out the kinks for winter use as well.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
oh, ok. :) thanks for the clarification, i thought it was just too heavy to move at all...

i do know that it is often easier to swivel things as they are moving instead of when they are at dead stop.

True....if the object doesn't weigh 1200 lbs, is 5x5x5 ft, is textured and on a texture surface and doesn't have anything firm to grab onto as you swivel...the hay just shoves off as you push on it. Kind of bulky, slippery to grasp and heavy as lead on a rough surface. I'm only 5'3" and not nearly 5 ft. wide yet, though I'm getting close :D so it's me against the bale....I can get it moving and even swivel it a little to change direction, but to swivel it 180* after I've got it where I want it is a bit much for me.

Plus this bale is lopsided! That makes it even harder to get a good straight rolling going, as well as swiveling smoothly.

When next we buy round bales, I'll have the guy load them so they are in roll out position when they are pushed off the trailer, then I'll drop them out in the field/pasture where I will start using them.

Live and learn!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
He is learning! And you are right, this breed is a whole 'nother species of dog. Everything you know about dogs has prepared you for this moment, the obvious truth is that you can chunk most of that out the window and let him teach you. It is starting all over again. LOL At least you and I are smart enough to take a step back and marvel at what we have.

Most definitely! I've had GPs, I've had an Akbash, and now this breed mix of GP/Anatolian/Maremma with Ben....but I'm finding the Anatolian breed to be very different than all of them. I've been interested in this breed since 2001 and have loved all the various traits they possess, admiring them from afar....but never had the chance to see them in their pure form. It's enlightening.

Makes me wonder why anyone would want to water down the breed by crossing them with another LGD breed.

You are right....I'm on a learning curve, as I seriously do not want to "ruin" this dog by being too heavy handed, too alpha~he needs to see the sheep flock as his alpha, not me~but still guiding him in his role here, as he has no older dog to show him the ropes. Ben is tied up this time of year due to gun season~for which I'm thanking God, as I don't want this pup to pick up Ben's bad habits and lack of seeing the sheep as part of his pack.

So far I'm just trying to show him his place is wherever the sheep are, but the sheep don't need to be wherever HE goes. He tries to bunch them at times and bring them back into the center of the meadow but this doesn't allow them to browse, so I've given a few verbal corrections on that and this morning I can see him moving into the woods WITH them but not trying to gently bring them out of there. Good dog! He doesn't take much to teach him a concept, so I'm going low and slow on teaching but instead am watching and waiting for teaching moments and trying not to be too heavy on it....just light corrections and direction.

Whenever he comes to me or tries to follow me too far from the sheep, I tell him "back' and "sheep"....he knows "sheep". I keep using the word around him when we are with the sheep, when I call the sheep, etc., so he's picked up on that pretty quickly.

Last night I heard him barking for the first time, so he's starting to guard at night...and like he should,not barking at everything but definitely sending out a warning to some things. And he's not just backing Ben up....last night I heard him bark first and Ben second his notion.

This is very fun! I love learning new things and this dog is definitely a new thing. Trying hard to find that balance between socializing him~impossible not to here, with us and grandkids all around his work area~and not pulling his mind from his purpose here. He LOVES affection, these little kids, people with a soft energy...he seems to gravitate towards them, possibly guarding them?
'