Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I just feel it is sad to see the commercial farmers, stores and the labs going to this type of eating. It's sometimes not even "real" food. :idunno:old I don't mean to criticize, just stating facts as to what I see and hear from customers. If they like and want that -- OK.

The problem with being okay with it is that it's a consumer driven market...so, though it's sad to see the farmers and stores moving towards catering to this type of eating, it all stems from the people we are "Okay" with being the heat and eat generation. They are driving that bus.

What the populace wants, they get. I'm not okay with any of it, both the consumers nor the providers...but not a whole lot anyone can do about it, really. Can't turn back that clock, no matter how many whole foods initiatives one supports.

I accept the massive changes, but continue to be amazed...or rather, dismayed, by it all. I can't truly say I'm okay with any of it, though I've learned not to beat my head against that wall.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And, it's really a waste of time to educate people. The material is out there for anyone who chooses to see or hear it. There are none so blind as those who won't see. Nor none so deaf as those who won't hear.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was flipping channels last night and caught a bit of the debate. One of the candidates said they'd like to see factory farming decline and to offer some kind of incentives to the small farmer. I really didn't catch it all - but hey - I'm a really small farmer and I'd love some incentives, lol!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They talked about how the factory farms are getting the incentives from the government, but they are the ones that are causing the most pollution, forcing the small farmer out of business, and causing unemployment issues in the corn belt. they export most of their product and really do not add much to the communities where they are.

I think factory farms should not be considered ag for taxes - they are corportations and should be taxed as such. If the owners are not physically at the farm working - if it is run entirely by employees, it is a corportation.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've learned not to beat my head against that wall.

which is why I've learned to be "OK with it". :D Given the opening, I re-educate!! Otherwise, accept what a person feels is best for them (even if it isn't :old)

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi, I don't post often but when I have something to say and this is when I post.
Sooo, with that being said ,I would like to Bring up that I notice if you go to any Farmers markets around here all you get is vegetables and fruits that you know by the looks that it is not local and if you have tasted them you really know . I have finally found a Gentleman that really sells fruits and vegetables that he really does grow and the produce is of names you know and taste that are true to their species. I tell him every time how grateful I am and the wonderful thing is he is cheap. I can not grow a garden
nothing grows around our acres except oaks and moss and mushrooms of varies types which I love to gather and put on our table.

I don't know this but I Question how much corporations are in to selling to others that pass it on to consumers at Farmers Markets at prices that are crazy and people go home thinking they have good quality product only to be fooled.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't go to farmers markets because there aren't any really close by. But, if I did and I got vegetables that weren't local and grown by the seller - I think I'd be pretty annoyed. But, I'm sure it happens.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed, how ARE the sheep? The little ram minding his manners? Getting to "that time of year" -- at least it is here!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Beekissed, how ARE the sheep? The little ram minding his manners? Getting to "that time of year" -- at least it is here!!

He's being a good boy now....settling down and not complaining as much. I rotate him out on grass and pen the girls while he's out. He's all about the food, so head is down and he's busy eating now. Caught him playing tag with the dogs the other day...it was cute.

The girls got into my recent apple picking~I forgot and left a large tote of apples out where they could access it. Rose didn't seem to partake much but Shine ate a full third of a huge tote filled with apples. Bloated some, had liquid squirts and a belly ache but she's been penned in with hay and water since then and showing some firming up.

Gave her a little FF this morning and that should help balance her rumen once again. Both girls have been really fattening up on fall graze and browse, are loving their kelp meal loose mineral and doing well except for these occasional glutting themselves on things they shouldn't.

Shine...

100_2138.JPG

100_2142.JPG
100_2144.JPG

I won't be putting them in together for breeding until November, so they've got a little time to wait until then. He doesn't wander far from their pen when he's out but they move out well when he's confined...they really don't see him as part of their herd yet.

Rose has let me give her good brushings and scratching all over several times but Shine won't let me touch her unless I've got her tied up.

Fall is fattening time, so by November they should all be in good condition for breeding.