Skills to know?

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So on the topic of prepardness and its many forms~

Housespouse n I were talking the other day about if a dire shtf situation occurred what would be good skills to know?
Say hypothetically there was some sort of major collapse or fallout of gov, military and state that would take some months to years to fix? Aside from being able to use a gun or varied wepon what would be a skill that would be useful to know or would have you likely to invite someone to join your survival group because they know it?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have books about herbal medicine, so knowing what weeds and herbs could be used for medicine would be useful. Making moonshine for extracting the medicinal qualities for a tincture would be a huge bonus. Pass the jug.....hic

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have books about herbal medicine, so knowing what weeds and herbs could be used for medicine would be useful. Making moonshine for extracting the medicinal qualities for a tincture would be a huge bonus. Pass the jug.....hic

Medicinal know how would definitely be a good know how! Moonshine markings just a good bonus heehee

Dehydrating foods, pull off two window screens, place food between and set in shade or sun, depending on climate.
I like this idea, I got a hangable dry rack from one of the orient stores in the area that's for drying fish. Got it to try out fruit/veg/past/herbs without the electric dehydrator.... instead it's been holding washed or dyed fleece pieces so the dog can't get them lol

So a good sense of making do with one had would be a good trait.
Yes! Being able to make multi uses out of stuff would be good or being able to think out of the box too
GARDENING! And knowing how to preserve food for the
Oops, deleted the end of that lol, would need both know how for extended time frames
Knowing how to butcher would be a necessary skill if you were able to harvest animals.
This is a pretty good skill too, I've gotta brush up on this knowhow

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Something DH and I were talking about just this morning... Communication would be crucial. Being a HAM would be very useful, especially if you knew Morse code, which could be used over long distances even if repeaters were not available.

Other good skills:
Medical Professional
Welder and/or Blacksmith, Farrier
Plumber, Mechanic
Wood Working and other Building techniques (cob, masonry) , Wainwright and Cooper
Basket Making
Spinning, Weaving, Knitting, Crochet, Sewing, and Rope Making, tying Knots of all kinds
Baking using a Clay Oven, knowing how to make and use sourdough
How to use a Compass and Topographical Map
Reloading Ammo and making Black Powder
Fishing
Animal Husbandry, Draft Animal Training
Candle Making, Soap Making
Water Dowser (some actually seem to have the knack)

A lot of these could be learned through the many Historical Recreation groups out there

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Britesea listed what I was thinking!

Our oldest son has taken two wilderness survival classes, plus first responder wilderness. He's taken teens through the backwater parts of India where they lived on the land or stayed in small villages where there was no electricity. I was amazed at the stuff I learned from him. The man can make a zillion knots for whatever need you have and can do a lot of things with just a tarp and a length of para cord.

Oh Mer Gerd.. I forgot about the moonshine! I even have a recipe for that. hahahaha Very important stuff. Medicinal, a good barter item and if you need some kind of emergency nasty type surgery, that might be your only pain killer. And don't be stingy.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Water purification. My son took supplies to make water purification systems out of 5 gal spackle buckets when he went on a mission trip to one of the Central America countries. Used varying grades of sand, charcoal, I think some hay or straw as filter media.

Gleaning food from the land. Gardening. Sewing. Tanning leather. Growing your own meat. Processing meat from farm or hunting. Have a self sustaining flock of chickens. Perhaps a few guinea hens.

Make and use a rocket stove.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Being a HAM would be very useful, especially if you knew Morse code

Other good skills:
Medical Professional
Welder and/or Blacksmith, Farrier
Plumber, Mechanic
Wood Working and other Building techniques (cob, masonry) , Wainwright and Cooper
Basket Making
Spinning, Weaving, Knitting, Crochet, Sewing, and Rope Making, tying Knots of all kinds
Baking using a Clay Oven, knowing how to make and use sourdough
How to use a Compass and Topographical Map
Reloading Ammo and making Black Powder
Fishing
Animal Husbandry, Draft Animal Training
Candle Making, Soap Making
Water Dowser (some actually seem to have the knack)
This is a pretty good list!