Skills to know?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Someone I knew watched a guy who had been standing out in front of WalMart all day with his sign and his pathetic story, pack up and walk over to a new SUV and drive off. Since then, I don't give money to people I don't know.
On the other hand, I have given one family I know that works hard and is trying very hard to hang onto their house (the husband is 75 yrs old and still working!)... I have given them money when I knew they were completely out, plants for their garden when I had more sprout in my greenhouse than I needed, and recently I got hold of an absolutely free used chest freezer (the small type- about 7 cubic feet) that I gave them. When they tried to pay me for it, I told them to pass it forward.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have books about herbal medicine, so knowing what weeds and herbs could be used for medicine would be useful. Making moonshine for extracting the medicinal qualities for a tincture would be a huge bonus. Pass the jug.....hic

Medicinal know how would definitely be a good know how! Moonshine markings just a good bonus heehee

Dehydrating foods, pull off two window screens, place food between and set in shade or sun, depending on climate.
I like this idea, I got a hangable dry rack from one of the orient stores in the area that's for drying fish. Got it to try out fruit/veg/past/herbs without the electric dehydrator.... instead it's been holding washed or dyed fleece pieces so the dog can't get them lol

So a good sense of making do with one had would be a good trait.
Yes! Being able to make multi uses out of stuff would be good or being able to think out of the box too
GARDENING! And knowing how to preserve food for the
Oops, deleted the end of that lol, would need both know how for extended time frames
Knowing how to butcher would be a necessary skill if you were able to harvest animals.
This is a pretty good skill too, I've gotta brush up on this knowhow

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lots of folks saying "we know where we're going." But always balk when I say no one eats for free :/
My friends say the same thing to me. "I'm coming to your house" they say. I tell them that they have to work for a meal. One tells me that she'll clean house but she wont' work outside in the dirt. That's not the way I function. Sooooo - if you can't get your hands dirty - you don't eat!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My view is that there would be plenty of work to be done in the house. Not everyone needs to be working in the soil.
Sure there is - but the person that said that they wouldn't work in the dirt is not infirm or disabled in anyway - just lazy and has never touched dirt in her life. Lazy doesn't work at my house. No free rides and even a child can pick up sticks for a fire. I'm not unreasonable but in my opinion there is nothing wrong with instilling a good work ethic in a young person.

As far as God in my life - God gave me talents and skills and a healthy body. I don't imagine he wants me to sit around and wait for him to drop food in the pot.

I'd be willing to bet that even those who put their entire trust in God - still look both ways before crossing a street. I think He'd be disappointed if we didn't!

Last edited:

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My view is that there would be plenty of work to be done in the house. Not everyone needs to be working in the soil.

Most definitely likely to be lots of work in the house, which I do include towards everyone works. Most those who want to stay with us if a shtf dont do housework either, their very used to fast food and having someone else do the work :(

Sure there is - but the person that said that they wouldn't work in the dirt is not infirm or disabled in anyway - just lazy and has never touched dirt in her life. Lazy doesn't work at my house. No free rides and even a child can pick up sticks for a fire. I'm not unreasonable but in my opinion there is nothing wrong with instilling a good work ethic in a young
Unfortunately lot of folks dont believe kids can even pick up sticks, been laughed at for suggesting such things as picking up sticks, collecting eggs, throwing out scratch, helping weed gardens/plots, sweeping floors and matching socks and loads of things I haven't listed.... like young kids are completely capable of doing things but lots of people think they can't do anything chore related until 10 or 12 for some reason then complain they dont want to???? Like duh, you taught them not to, what'd you expect?

I dont even wanna get into the amount of folks who want a free ride when they can and are fully able to do at least minimal work :he:hu

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Being a HAM would be very useful, especially if you knew Morse code

Other good skills:
Medical Professional
Welder and/or Blacksmith, Farrier
Plumber, Mechanic
Wood Working and other Building techniques (cob, masonry) , Wainwright and Cooper
Basket Making
Spinning, Weaving, Knitting, Crochet, Sewing, and Rope Making, tying Knots of all kinds
Baking using a Clay Oven, knowing how to make and use sourdough
How to use a Compass and Topographical Map
Reloading Ammo and making Black Powder
Fishing
Animal Husbandry, Draft Animal Training
Candle Making, Soap Making
Water Dowser (some actually seem to have the knack)
This is a pretty good list!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Develop a good social network of neighbors, friends, and family. Be prepared to take the church underground. Many folks would not survive without life sustaining medications. My husband is one of them. Without Insulin and pancreatic enzymes, he would not last a week. Get your spiritual house in order. Got Jesus????

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Without Christ, none of the rest matters. No amount of skill sets, skilled people, community or anything else will suffice to ultimately save one's life.

When He is Lord over your life you don't have to worry about prepping. The only true and complete preparation for life~with or without our current world status quo~is to be prepared to die and the only way to do that is to give one's life to Christ, fully and completely.

So the skill set I recommend is to seek God with all your heart and try to find people who are doing the same...

Psalm 9:10 And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My friends say the same thing to me. "I'm coming to your house" they say. I tell them that they have to work for a meal. One tells me that she'll clean house but she wont' work outside in the dirt. That's not the way I function. Sooooo - if you can't get your hands dirty - you don't eat!