Skin Allergy/Irritation in Dogs

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Corn, wheat, soy...it's all garbage. They may be able to tolerate it for years and then suddenly their body's ability to contain the damage gives out.

Allergies are one symptom. Sometimes it is horrible flatulence, bad breath, etc... Sometimes they just get fat. Other times they get diabetes, fatty liver disease, cancer, cysts....

It's all the same problem, a totally inappropriate diet based on the animals biological needs, but the genetics of the dog will determine what they end up suffering from.

Like SKR8PN, I feed taste of the wild. I also give wet food for my senior kitty, but I only buy brands that use no grain. My oldest cat is now 21.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree switch food!! I have a lab with the same problem and she an indoor dog with severe allergies. Grain free is the best solution. I use Canidae salmon formula and it is costly but she won't itch near as bad. Also an allergic dog can have a reaction even if you have changed nothing!!! I hope yours feels better soon, hives are the worst. Good Luck

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Haven't been to the store yet for the fish oil, but I gotta say the vinegar is helping already!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't ever feed Purina again. My friend and nutritional guru went to their mill, they put rotting meat into their food. Besides other nasty things.

Its highly doubtful your dog has a food allergy, only like 5% of dogs have an *actual* food allergy. My vet tried to get me to switch off Royal Canin for my dogs flea (saliva btw) allergy, but I switched flea control & added a spray of herbs to his body daily.

Sk8prn, your dogs are fat because of what a. rich food TOTW is, I'd find a less rich food for them, besides the fact that the richness isn't good for them.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
If a food is less rich it has more fillers. Fillers are not appropriate for a dog.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not necessarily. A food with healthy by product is less rich, and no fillers. I believe in dogs eating more "by product" (bones, tendons, ligaments, organs) then meat. Domestic canine is a scavenger, more on the "omnivorous" scale then purely carnivorous like a cat.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yes, when people feed raw they do give them bone, organ meat, etc...

If I ever get a dog again I am going to feed raw.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Raw = bomb. I can't do it fully so I have to supplement with the best kibble I could find.