Skirt patterns?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a Singer Simple if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure of the exact model. It certainly hasn't lived up to its name though... The instructions have some goofy part about jerking the bobbin by the thread and if it goes so far, it's right, if it doesn't go far enough, it's too tight, if it goes too far, it's too loose... UNFORTUNATELY, it doesn't say how far this "just right" amount is!

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
we had to replace our singer simple it was having the same problem ended up costing us the amount to replace it on the second time i took into the shop. third time it broke it got donated for store credit and parts.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Junky things... I tried returning it, but they had discontinued them right after I bought mine, and I couldn't even return the stupid thing. I was not a happy camper. I have only used it, err, ATTEMPTED to use it, a few times, and I've had it for five or six years now.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hear they make great doorstops. See if you can find a good used machine on Craigslist or the like.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wish I lived closer I could fix the bobbin problem you may be having. the thing with the bobbin holder tension is.. if you insert the bobbin and hold the string and the whole thing falls to the floor the tension is too loose. If you tug it and have to really pull it to get the thread to come out it is too tight. it should hold the bobbin/bobbin holder up in the air but if you tug it (thread) it should move without binding or pulling hard.
I have old sewing machings and love them.. would rather buy a $25 yard sale machine than a new one haha. I have fixed many for family too.. it is normally little things that gum them up.

if your bobbin tension is too loose the threads will bunch up under the material like a caterpiller and make a huge mess and jam it up. too tight and the stitches pucker and pull. it takes a bit of tweaking to get that tension set. but once you do.. take the bobbin/thread out and put just the tiniest dab of nail polish on the screw to lock it.

If you do a lot of fleece sewing like I do.. and start having problems.. sometimes the fibers from the fleece get jammed under the bobbin tension screw/flap.. you have to clean it out. and the top tension too.
I've had cheap/poor quality threads gum up both tension areas with extra fibers. PITA to clean but once you figure it out it is not too hard to fix.
it is so much easier to show you what I mean than trying to write it out. probably a 5 minute fix in person.. :(