SKR8PN's greenhouse journal and Zombie FYI thread

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Maybe I'll just make this post my diary, since I have been thinking about starting one anyway. :D

So here we go!!!!!!

This is the shed I built two years ago, with the intention of adding a greenhouse to the south wall, as soon as the building inspector left. I HATE building inspectors! The wood frame is the foundation of "The Greenhouse". The shed was built with 6 in thick walls to provide plenty of insulation to help keep the greenhouse warm. This is going to be a totally solar project with NO additional heat source other that the thermal heat mass, so insulation is going to be very important.
393655101.jpg

393655103.jpg

The concrete you see along the back wall is there for the water jugs to set on(the thermal mass) and is sections of our old sidewalk that we recycled for this project.
Here I am trying to get an idea as to door sizes,front wall angle, roof angle and bed layout. I have no plans to speak of, I am building this from the voices in my head. The foundation is just 6x6 treated that I laid down, overlapped the joints, and spiked together with re-bar 3ft long. The rebar going down into the ground 2 ft is what is going to keep the lumber from shifting on the ground. The ground under the 6x6's is a compacted mix of different size gravel,dirt and sand. Once packed, it is like trying to dig thru concrete. I also insulated under the walkway, and I dug down 18 inches inside the front wall and put 1 in foam board in as a frost break.
393655109.jpg

Here I am beginning the front wall framing and have set the two sliding doors in each end.
393655108.jpg

Roof rafters are set and both of the angled windows in the end have been framed in and ordered. JeldWen ROCKS when it comes to special ordering odd sized windows or doors! They may not be cheap, but at least they are willing to tackle tough jobs like this one.
393655107.jpg

Here the rubber roof as has been installed, ceiling insulation is in, both light tubes are in, and the water jugs have been painted and filled with a saline solution to help prevent freezing. The beds are filled with soil and we are waiting for the new glass to arrive.
393655106.jpg

393655105.jpg

393655147.jpg

We have glass!!
393655104.jpg

393190187.jpg

393190191.jpg

I had origanally bought thermo-pane glass from a gentleman off of Craigslist, bit it was old and had lost the seal between the sheets of glass, so we had to purchase new. Again, not cheap, but at this point I was locked in, since the entire greenhouse was based on that glass size.
This was our first crops, planted during late summer. Had to leave the doors open to vent it, but everything did rather nicely.
393190192.jpg

393190216.jpg

393190212.jpg

393190214.jpg

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You do such professional looking, good work.
Everything around here looks like a couple of 5th graders decided to build a club house.
Can't wait to see the finished project.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
2dream said:
You do such professional looking, good work.
Everything around here looks like a couple of 5th graders decided to build a club house.
Can't wait to see the finished project.
Thanks very much for the compliment!
I'm so slow, I'd starve to death if I was doing this for a living :gig but, I don't think it is to shabby of a job, for NOT having any plans to go by!

The voices in my head are telling me how to do it. :th :gig

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
That's your wife's voice!!!!!

;)
:gig Actually, The Wife is a woman of few words. When she wants something, she starts out like this
pillowfight.gif
then proceeds onto this
146fs495919.gif
and if it STILL isn't done, she gets out the
Banane26.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts