Slaughtering meat goats

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I feel I have taken one more step toward self sufficiency.

A friend took me with him to butcher a goat at a local goat farm. He is devout Muslim and so must slaughter his meat himself, lacking any acceptable slaughter houses within 100 miles. It was quite an experience.

The farmer sells his culls and crosses directly to individuals who in turn either have them slaughtered by a third party, or do it themselves, in facilities right on the farm. It is an old brooder the fellow had built for ostriches and emus back when such birds brought $100k for a pair, with a cement flooring and a drain gutter down the middle of the floor, which is ideal for such a job. Easy to wash out the blood and such.

My friend used the Halaal method of slaughter, which I had been dreading viewing. Without stunning or medicating, the goat is killed by slitting its carotid arteries, much like folks do broiler chickens.

I was surprised at how smooth and quick the death was. My friend is from Pakistan and has been slaughtering his own meat goats since a teen. He is very skilled, very gentle, very caring. The goat appeared at first surprised, then confused, then out, then dead. No look of pain or terror entered its eyes during the entire time.

Once dead, the goat was no longer an animal to me, but meat (much like processing chickens), so the rest was much easier to watch and occasionally assist with. His teen age son also assisted, while his ten year old looked on. They showed me how to skin, how to eviscerate, even save the brain and hooves for use in cooking (he uses much more than I would have anticipated). I like the touch when eviscerating of placing the hand inside the body cavity, pulling outward, and slicing the belly between the fingers to avoid cutting the innards. I learned the importance of having a big, heavy meat clever on hand for chopping through bone. Skinning looked much more difficult than anticipated, but doable.

In fact, it was all doable. I came away feeling like this is something I could handle by myself. I now have every confidence that I will be able to raise and butcher my own meat goats.

Although no Halaal for me. I will use a gun.

I will get one more practice run. Next time he slaughters one, he will kill it, then I will go through the entire process myself, with him only guiding me.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
great work Buster! and sure you can do it. heck after that monster turkey do did.. i imagine you can do just about anything.

we helped Bourbon Red dress some lambs much the same way. and in fact we also dressed some turkeys that day -- and the turkeys were almost bigger than the lambs!

anyway

we also did the throat slitting method and i have to say i wasnt disturbed by it at all.

we find that skinning is easy and not to difficult (with the pigs)...and since we are the worlds worst pluckers we prefer skinning for our birds.

did he use a saw at all? or just a knife?

great report - hope that you got some of that meat
:)

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am definately for doing it yourself. I believe it gives you more respect for the animal that you are butchering and it's life. When you raise something and then send it off to be returned in little white packages, then something is definately lost, like the feeling that it gave it's life so you may eat.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am of the mindset that once it is no longer alive then it is a piece of meat. I am almost certain that I could do the halal method or any other if called to do so. I was watching a video where someone used a 2x4 to kill a rabbit for slaughter. Frankly, in my opinion, that is MUCH more barbaric than I could handle and knowing myself (and my bad luck with squashing bugs in a similar manner) the poor animal would not have an easy death. For the few animals I've euthanized, I've used gas chamber (chick), overdose of pain meds (ferret) and the vet (another ferret).

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
great work Buster! and sure you can do it. heck after that monster turkey do did.. i imagine you can do just about anything.
:D

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but this boy was well over 150 pounds. Just a tad bigger than my turk. :lol:

He used several excellent knives, but used a cleaver to cut through the bone. No saws. I think the difficulty in skinning was only relative. I expected the skin to just peel off similar to a rabbit, but since he had a lot of fat, it appears to have attached to the skin.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Wow thats awsome! Although I look at my little dwarf and think "no way" but if its one I just am raising strictly for meat, then, like my meat birds, I could do it. Although I would probably screw up the Halaal method, I would probably use a gun. I think its great that you had a good teacher, and boy wouldn't it be great if we all were so lucky?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We did our young ram lamb a bit ago. I have slaughtered and processed many animals in the past, rabbits, chicken, quail, turkey, duck ,goose, etc, and my we are hunters, so have also processed bear, deer and moose.

Killing game is a bit different than killing a large animal that you have raised, so i am thankful my dh was around while we did the lamb. We did stun, and then slit the arteries. Like you , once the animal was dead, in my mind it is just a piece of meat, and the rest of the processing was textbook.

Although we did not have a meat cleaver--we have a meat saw, but will be getting a cleaver for the next one. usually when we do large game, we take the meat off the bone. this time we kept the bone in.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and encouragement, folks. I am getting my goats this weekend! My neighbor is shipping off to Afghanistan in June and has offered to sell his 7 goats to me, cheap.

I will probably sell most of those, however, as goat prices are running really high at the auctions right now and I only need the youngest ones.

Well, them and the three legged nanny, because I think she is so cool. :lol:

I figure with the profit I will make from the adults I can then buy some quality breeding stock. I have really been hearing good things about Kikos as a sustainable goat breed, as they are highly parasite resistant.

I will likely buy the Kikos from the farmer I met last weekend when I helped my friend.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Buster said:
My friend used the Halaal method of slaughter, which I had been dreading viewing. Without stunning or medicating, the goat is killed by slitting its carotid arteries, much like folks do broiler chickens.
food and it's intersection with religion is a huge interest of mine. i would love to witness a Dhabiha. it just makes so much sense to me. there is so much respect for the animals that it is law that the knives not be sharpened in front of them and that other animals not witness the slaughter. that is serious dedication to a process.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Update...

I am now the proud owner of 7 goats... 2 bucks and 5 does, four of whom are pregnant.

All for the grand total price of $120. I will take the two bucks to auction in a couple of weeks and make more than that on just the two, making the does essentially free.

Then I will get two quality (if flawed) Savanna/Kiko mix bucks to introduce some good blood and I am off to the races.

These goats are really cool, and my Great Pyrenees love them already.

My lab, not so much.