sleep aids

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I need help with a natural sleep aid, I have no problem getting to sleep, I will sleep for a 3-5 hours and wak up and takes 2-3 hours to get back to sleep.

HELP!!!! my wife said I have to sleep on the couch until I start sleeping better :lol:

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll be interested in the response you get. I have the same problem. I've tried all sorts of herbal teas and homebrew concoctions with no success at all. I have resorted to keeping away from all liquids and anything that has caffeine in it after supper. It helps a little, sometimes.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
at walmart i get melitonin(sp)? it is where the vitamins and supplements are.

ok it is spelled ; melatonin.
"helps promote sleep"
*helps establish normal sleep pattrens
*with vitamin B6
*100% vegetarian

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The one I have had the most luck with is enzymatic stressless sleep. They no longer sell it but they have other products for sleep that I have considered. I have also tried melatonin which helps, valerian which barely helps, hops which seems to help. I got a sleep essentials blend from swanson that did not work at all because it also had passion flower which can cause nervousness and racing heart in some(me).

I have had better luck with aromatherapy. Lavender, jasmine and camomile. I also have a lavender and camomile tea that I drink that is very relaxing, caffeine free, and seems to help also. The enzymatic seems though to have worked the best.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Guess I'm the black sheep here, lol. But, a glass or two of wine works for me. No more than that though, because too much alcohol disrupts the sleep cycle.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Once you get into a pattern of staying awake for several hours in the middle of the night, it's really hard to break it, and you create anxiety about it, so that decreases your chance of getting back to sleep anytime soon. If you take melatonin, you need to take magnesium and calcium with it, per my chiropractor. You might try taking something to get to sleep the first time, then something else when you wake up in the middle of the night. Benedryl is a pretty safe med to take. It is in OTC sleep aids. Taking too many will make you jittery, tho. There are "sleepy time" teas you can buy. I have one called "Seven Blossoms" that has 7 different herbs in it. You can smell the valerian, but it doesn't taste too bad. I buy it at an international food store that has a lot of Hispanic food in it. Another thing that helps me is to drink a cup of warm milk with honey in it.
Probably the main thing is to trick yourself into not caring that you are awake during that time, feeling relaxed and unworried whether you sleep or not. Don't just lie in bed and toss and turn. Get up and watch some boring TV or read a book that bores you.

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Guess I'm the black sheep here, lol. But, a glass or two of wine works for me. No more than that though, because too much alcohol disrupts the sleep cycle.
yes I have considered the alcohol option, however a recovering alcoholic, this option was ruled out very quick.......... thanks for trying to help

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
SL, thanks for posting that about the benedryl! I would have never expected that to be in a sleep aid. And while I don't have any problems sleeping, if I were to ever have them, I can't take benedryl. I get really bad side effects from it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on your recovery D1!

I didn't mention that in my vast array of studies (spent decades being a professional student) I went through a Polysomnography program. Made it to the end and decided I didn't like staying up all night watching other people sleep! In the Polysom world it's called "sleep hygiene" and it's very important. It involves keeping the same schedule as much as possible. Have a set routine that you go through every night before bed. Don't read in bed, don't do games on your phone or computer (like my DH). Bed is for sleeping. Try to get away from the television and computer at least 30 - 40 minutes before bedtime. Don't keep a radio or TV going during the night. Something that creates "white noise" is fine though. You need several hours of uninterruped sleep before you can get into a REM cycle. It sounds like that may be where your problem is....you're not making it into REM. Have you considered that you might have sleep apnea? Do you snore? Do you grind your teeth? Ask your wife if you snort or startle yourself awake after a period where you stop breathing for several seconds.

Melatonin works great for some folks - not so much for others. (It gave my DH horrible nightmares.) Warm milk really can help some folks. A warm bath before bed - even though most men prefer to shower a bath can be very relaxing - especially with some lavender scented bubble bath! :)

SL is right. Try aroma therapy. We have a lavender spray that we can use on the pillows and it really does help. Get out of bed if you don't fall back asleep within 15 minutes or so. While you're up try to stay relaxed. Don't get up and get really busy. If you can, stay away from bright lights and television. A boring movie or a book certainly may help, but be aware that the flickering lights from the television may wake you up even more.

If all else fails - have a sleep study done. It can be life changing. Most of the folks with sleep apnea follow the pattern that you describe. They fall asleep easily enough because they're tired from not getting a decent night's sleep the night before. But then, they have the pattern that you're experiencing. Most insurance companies cover the study.

If not here are a few tips for combatting apnea. DH had horrible apnea, both obstructive and central apneas. He would stop breathing over a hundred times a night and sometimes wouldn't start back until his oxygen level had dropped to an alarming level. I don't have any idea about your physical build - but my DH was overweight with a very thick neck and he slept on his back. If you sleep on your back gravity works against your throat muscles. They tend to 'collapse' which causes the gasping that wakes you up. That's obstructive apnea. Try sleeping on your side. Try the 'breathe right' strips. Also you might try a humidifier in your room.

Also, he's lost about 35 lbs recently. We spent the night away from home unexpectedly a while back and he didn't have his c-pap machine. He barely snored at all.

Okay, lesson over!

Sleep is so important to our physical and mental well-being. I hope you come up with a simple solution to your problem. Try all the easy things first, but if that doesn't work for you - you might really need a sleep study. Lack of sleep can cause a lot of other health issues.

The first night my DH slept with a cpap machine he woke up the next morning and was ecstatic. His first words were 'now I finally know what it feels like to feel good in the morning'....

Sorry for writing a whole book!