Sloppy joe recipe anyone?

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe for making your own sloppy joe sauce? I've always got lots of tomatoes canned and all. I'd like to avoid mannwiches.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Honestly??? I just squeeze in some ketchup, worcestershire sauce and garlic powder until it tastes right. I also put in a can of pork and beans with the ground meat. Serve on toast or buns.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
That's it. One day while at the grocery store, I looked at the ingredients on a can of manwich, and it was just glorified ketchup. So that is all I do, and it tastes great!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well shoot. I'll just save my tasty canned tomatoes and use the ketchup. We never end up using ketchup much, so the bottle just sits around full all year.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Here's what I was raised on and still make fairly frequently. The recipe is for a small amount but it makes sense to double or treble it.

Sloppy Joes

1/2 lb hamburger
small onion, chopped
1/2 celery rib, chopped
some chopped mushrooms, either sauteed already or canned
2 small, or 1 large, can of tomato sauce
4 Tbsp cider (or any) vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
chili powder to taste

Brown beef; add onions and celery and mushrooms and fry a little while; add all other ingredients, bring to boil, and simmer UNcovered for 30 min or so until cooked down a bit.

Sorry, can't give exact sizes on the tomato sauce cans b/c am now in Canada where things are marked in mL not oz. -- but a pint of homemade tomato sauce will make a trebling of this recipe, or so, depending how saucy you like yer sloppy joe.

Pat

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I use some bbq sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, worsch...that sauce, even a dash of tobasco, and whatever seasoning, chop some onions, peppers if you like and mix it all in.....I think Manwich is way over rated, lol. And why couldn't you use your tomatoes for texture? :)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We do pretty much the same as you all do, but add a squirt of prepared mustard. It seems to give it just the right tang.

Cassandra