Sloppy joe recipe anyone?

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mother made hers out of mixing ketchup and yellow mustard. Not gourmet, but the kids eat it.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wow, learn something new everyday I always made sloppy joes by topping a hamburger bun with homemade spagetti sauce...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tony makes sloppy joes, his way. I think it is tons of ketchup, worchistire (?) sauce, throws in some onion, A-1 sauce, smidgen of garlic powder, and some mushrooms sometimes. Mixes that up all with ground meat in pan and eats it on a sandwich or in a big bowl with tons of crackers.

Woof, I surely don't like it but he and Nicole eat the hound out of it..LOL

So many ways to make this I believe!! :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Patandchickens -I copied that one. I looked at the emeril one but decided that Baby Bam was too much for me-lol
Oh I should have added I just fake the herbs and spices with what I have on hand, what I know my son will eat and what I feel like adding at the moment.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love a good sloppy joe...! I don't have a recipe to share, but was wondering if anyone has tried canning sloppy joes..? Pressure canning, or would sloppy joe be to dense to can safely..? Kevin

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Surely you can pressure can it. (I would think) You just have to can it as long as you would can the ingredient requiring the longest processing time. In this case, it looks like the ground beef?

Though, if you canned just the sauce without the beef, then you'd have more along the lines of what you buy in the can at the store. Just brown your ground beef and add a jar of sauce.

Could do it either way, right?

Cassandra

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My grandmother's tried & true recipe:

1 lb ground beef
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. chopped celery(I omit this as I don't like cooked celery)
1/4 c. chopped green bell pepper
1 tsp salt
1 TSP vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp chili powder(I use 1/2)
1/4 c. ketchup
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
Mix beef, onion, celery & green pepper & cook over med heat until brown. Add vinegar & sugar, chili pwder, ketchup & tomato sauce. Stir well, cook over low heat 15 mins. Serve with warm buns.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I would *think* (this is theory, but I betcha it's correct :p) that as long as it is at least moderately saucy -- that is, you are not just pounding the jar full of solidly compressed flavored hamburger -- there should be no problem, same as if you were canning spaghetti with meat sauce or a chunky stew. Making sure to give it proper processing time of course.

JMO,

Pat

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Not sure about canning it but I have made a few dbl batches & frozen it without any trouble.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I don't like chunks of celery either but I do like the taste of celery in sauces (?? but true)- I used to grow leaf celery- was grown for the leaves which I dried and used as a spice or flavoring. I really liked it but have done it in a few years. I read that dehydrated celery does not have a long lasting shelf life so maybe I'll try it again.