Slow food....what do you think?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I agree photographing should not be done without the landowner's consent, because that is an invasion of privacy- though you can't get around people taking aerial photos or photos from a public street.

I agree that our food system should have transparency, but I'm not sure we should bully our way into businesses. These are mostly private businesses, and not community or government owned. I think a better way to go about it is to avoid patronizing businesses who are completely closed off and won't allow anybody to see what happens. There are plenty of farmers who will give farm tours and such, so we should be patronizing them. The ones with things to hide will be hurt and figure out they need to follow suit pretty quickly or go out of business.

Edited to add: I'm not saying I think picture should be illegal, I just think there's a tough time deciding what is invasion of a business's privacy and what we as consumers have the right to know about. :/ That's why we should be selective about what food we buy.

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
glenolam said:
I was reading a comment from one of the blog members and they were saying how, while they don't agree with "the Big Ag" they do think it's uncalled for to allow people to take pictures of your farm at will...invasion of privacy type thing.

I get that, but a simple no trespassing sign would prohibit people from coming on to your property. If you catch them in your barn, you can have them arrested.This is great in theory, You actually think no trespassings signs prevent trespassing? and how long does it take for the Law Enforcement Officer to get to your place after you make the call? I could be long gone before the LEO arrives. BTW just so you know in most places you can not prevent an animal protection agent from entering your barn if his stated purpose is to check on the welfare of the animals. Often these are not sworn officers but are backed by such as PITA or HSUS. And that doesn't only apply to farms but to all animals ( found this out when we used to use animals in our labs to check on the safety of human drugs Animal agents could come at any time without notice and they could take pictures of any animals (but not humans) ~gd

IMO, while I don't want random strangers on my property taking pictures, if they see our cows in the field from the side of the road and want to take a picture - go ahead! We're proud of them and know we aren't mistreating any of our animals.

If someone miscontrues what they see and use that picture against us, again, go ahead. We know what we're doing is OK and right so what would we be worried about?
maybe in labs its different,but on the farm the only person you HAVE to let in is the sheriff,,YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LET IN ANYONE ELSE..

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Of course, there's always the "redneck" versions of how to keep people off your property....
thats what i'm talking about.
;-)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
photographing should not be done without the landowner's consent, because that is an invasion of privacy
Keep in mind I actual am a reporter at times (usually I just do design, but I do go out on stories), but I believe it is a journalistic responsibility to carry out investigative reporting. Without "To Catch a Predator" how many more children would be molested as their attackers roam free?

That being said, some of these animal rights orgs are simply committing fraud. THEY should be prosecuted. But what about the guy who filmed a slaughter house moving downers cows with a fork lift so they could be butchered???

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you are absolutely correct, WZ. And I'm right there with you.

But that's why I sort of agree with this "petition"...people who are doing things correctly, humanely, safely, etc I'm sure would be more than willing to show off their farms - therefore shouldn't care if people are taking pictures of their farm (note - personal, family stuff, no, but farming stuff, sure).

Those with something to hide get caught on "to catch a predator".