Small out building projects?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Jaxom said:
You see, I have this major aversion to ladders and rapid impacts with the ground when falling from them. :eek:
Like my father used to say......."One step will get you all the way to ground" :th :gig :gig
I don't own nor can afford a ladder that I can legally climb via the nameplate rating, I figure the 25% I am over is built into the fudge factor.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jaxom At the risk of showing my holy attitude I must point out that there is a big difference between a smoker cooker and a smoke house. The rig shown by A. Brown is a smoker/cooker (sometimes called a hot smoker) where the purpose of the rig is to slow cook and add flavor. A smoke house is used to preserve meat and is basically a slow dehydrator, which uses smoke both for adding flavor and keeping insects away from the meat as it cures and ages. A cure is basically a dry rub of chemicals that that slowly enters the meat and preserves it. The dry rub is mainly salt and sugar. Country ham is done with a smoke house and a dry rub; it will keep without refrigeration and is usually cooked before consuming. City ham is usually injected with a cure solution for flavor and is partly precooked it must be stored under refrigeration or it will spoil. I dont know much about fish except we would lay in a supply of salt cod for when we got tired of meat and we couldnt catch much by ice fishing. May I suggest the following website on preserving and storing food at home? I just have it listed as a favorite because it is updated with new material.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jaxom At the risk of showing my holy attitude I must point out that there is a big difference between a smoker cooker and a smoke house. The rig shown by A. Brown is a smoker/cooker (sometimes called a hot smoker) where the purpose of the rig is to slow cook and add flavor. A smoke house is used to preserve meat and is basically a slow dehydrator, which uses smoke both for adding flavor and keeping insects away from the meat as it cures and ages. A cure is basically a dry rub of chemicals that that slowly enters the meat and preserves it. The dry rub is mainly salt and sugar. Country ham is done with a smoke house and a dry rub; it will keep without refrigeration and is usually cooked before consuming. City ham is usually injected with a cure solution for flavor and is partly precooked it must be stored under refrigeration or it will spoil. I dont know much about fish except we would lay in a supply of salt cod for when we got tired of meat and we couldnt catch much by ice fishing. May I suggest the following website on preserving and storing food at home? I just have it listed as a favorite because it is updated with new material.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GD,

Thanks for that link, I'll check it out in a bit. I actually realized just what you're saying. While googling on my own looking at plans, I noted that some places refered to their structures as "cold smoke", where temps can be as low as 95F but typically being around 140F or so. Once site I came across was described historical meat processing practices and gave a simlar example of taking fresh butchered pork and then packing it in oak barrels full of salt for up to 6 weeks before smoking. Keeping in mind doing this method, what ever is being smoked isn't fully cooked, just preserved enough to prevent spoilage or modling, and to some minor degree a deturant to critters from eating what's being smoked. Either way any foods would still need to be cooked thoroughly later on before eating. I'm kinda getting a broader pictrure of this and how it all can be applied.