Small sustainable project in the city

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Take a look at my rabbit shed that holds a total of 4 cages. 2 for my does...... one smaller one for my buck and another one, the same size for does and is used as a grow out pen. The small hutch to the left was a Free Craigslist item I also use as a grow out pen. The entire structure, cages, and High quality breeding stock cost less then $300. Most people I know would have spent $10-15 for each breeder where I spent more like $30. I bought the quality I want to produce. Is that best? I dont know. All I know, is I personally wanted to start out with a very good solid line of meat rabbit that one individual has kept making better.
I am more then impressed with the livestock I choose. One rabbit that dresses out to be around 1-1.5 lbs will still feed most families. I would calculate 4 oz per person. Even if that person can eat an 8-10 oz steak. Rabbit is light in flavor and heavy on the stomach. Very very cost affective.
1834_rbbtshd61010.jpeg

1834_breeders8510.jpg

The rabbits are up off the ground, at eye level. Easy to maintain. Fertilizer is easy to reach under the cages..... and it is easy upkeep. It is also a very simple easy set-up most of us can do.

the lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 5 meat rabbits, their kits and a lizard

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Oh I REALLY love your set up! Plenty of air circulation, ease of cleaning and care. You must have really thought it out!

Back in the day when I was keeping rabbits here I had 4 normal large sized cages and one double size cage hanging in my detached garage. The airflow was always a problem in the hot summer months.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Back in the day when I was keeping rabbits here I had 4 normal large sized cages and one double size cage hanging in my detached garage. The airflow was always a problem in the hot summer months.
Farmfresh,
Your exactly right about the airflow. Just like chickens, rabbits do not handle the heat well. That is why we made it one sided and that is the side where the wind,rain and snow comes from most of the time. Then with it so close to the tree line it helps it out a lot. Plus the chickens go under it and till everything all up together. As you know this past few weeks in in MO has been dreadfully hot and I have still not lost one. Now don't get me wrong.......... the day when it was 102 under the shed with NO wind I thought I would loose a few...... Every hour I was out there with frozed bottles of water, tile, and hosing down the roof and even had to put a sprinkler under them to try to cool them down. They made it and so did I.........
Now, I am just trying to figure out a water line system to water them in the winter without the water constantly freezing.
I would prefer not needing to use water bottles since it can get real cold here for long periods of time. It sure makes me wish I was handier with tools and making things.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Back in the day I usually went with the black rubber Fortiflex pans and changed the water about three times a day when it was super cold.

With your setup it would be easy to add tarp sides to help with the icy winter drafts that we get around here. We also fed whole flakes of alfalfa or clover/orchard grass hay directly in the cage in the winter. The bunnies would eat there way inside of the hay when they got cold plus the extra calories and fiber helped a lot. It is FAR easier to winter rabbits that it is in this horrible heat.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
:ep Will you be my role modle? :lol: I have a couple of banana peppers in a barrel that are doing wonderful. I love your tomatoes and squash too! I have a 15X30 "spot" to do all of my gardening and chicken-rasing in. Great job!

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I am just learning as you are. This is my 3rd garden in 18 years or for that matter as an adult. My mom had a few gardens when I was a kid but all I remember was having to weed it and and help can food.
It has turned out very nice... I am learning. My tomatoes have not been happy but we have also had 105-120 heat index for 2 weeks. So living creature or plant has been happy.
We just started to add onto the rabbit shed and I am looking forward to getting that done. My project is definately moving in the right direction for us. I will post pictures as it progresses.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The ad on to the rabbit shed has started this week... YEAH!!!
I am so looking forward to new hanging cages! This addition is 1 1/2 times larger then what I currantly have. I have my CA female in a seperate quaranteen cage and she will be ready to join the designated area for the rabbits. I have had lots of inquiries for meat rabbit breeding stock and fortunately I have the quality rabbits to produce it. Now I just need enough room to accomidate what my needs are. If you look at the two 8' privacy panels next to the currant white shed, that is my new area. The white 3 sided shed is 10' long, so my addition is quite large compared to what I have now. The chicken tractor will be in that inclosed yard area and the chickens will have a safe place to hang out when I am not home. Otherwise they pretty much free range anytime I am home as my dogs are chicken safe now.
1834_shedadon2.jpg

My page is updated and I will ad more here as it progresses. I have 2 litters of kits that will need grow out cages next week. I am looking forward to getting it done.

The lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 5 meat rabbits, their kits and a lizard

Latest posts