1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help my first pig.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Smoothies

Discussion in 'The Homestead Kitchen - Recipes Etc' started by sumi, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Oct 6, 2017
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

I found a smoothie maker, or "nutrient extractor" as the manufacturer insists on calling it, for a very good price at the supermarket two days ago and bought one. With me and my still horrible eating habits, it seems a great way to get meals and nutrients in, in a fuss free, on the go, don't really feel like eating way. I haven't used it. I'm still looking at recipes and ideas.

Who here makes smoothies and what are some of your favourite recipes and food pairings?

The Country Girl likes this.
  2. Oct 6, 2017
    Country homesteader

Country homesteader Lovin' The Homestead

I was making smoothies early part of last year.
    I was using my favorite yogurt, frozen fruit. If I had fresh fruit (bananas mostly) I would use that along with the frozen fruit. By using frozen fruit I never had a need to use ice cubes. Let's see what kind of yogurt did I use blueberry, raspberry, vanilla and plain. I can't have strawberries (allergic) and don't like peach!
    Sure there's others out there that use all sorts of things in their smoothie to make it more nutritious and filling. For me, a tall glass made with yogurt and frozen fruit is good enough.

3. Oct 6, 2017
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

Ooh I'll be watching this. My favorite smoothie (and DD's) is yogurt, milk, frozen blueberries with some maple syrup and cinnamon. Yum. I don't like drinking milk by itself so I sneak it in there. But I'm interested in seeing what other people make for smoothies.

4. Oct 6, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Me too! I've made a few but mostly with the same stuff everybody else uses...yogurt, milk, fruit... the usual. I just don't use beets, lol! :sick

5. Oct 6, 2017
    TexasLisa

TexasLisa Lovin' The Homestead

Beets? UGH....shudder

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  6. Oct 7, 2017
    Britesea

Britesea Super Self-Sufficient

I have a standard recipe for a smoothie that we really enjoy: 2 cups tightly packed leafy greens (spinach, kale, romaine, bok choy, swiss chard, collards, and/or dandelion) , 2 cups liquid (water, coconut water, coconut milk, almond milk), and 3 cups ripe fruit. If the fruit is frozen you don't need ice cubes. Blend the greens and liquid first, then add the fruit and blend again. This makes about 32 oz and serves 2.

For extra protein: 1 oz chia seeds, ¼ cup flax seed, ¼ cup almonds, 2 tbsp almond butter, 2-4 tbsp protein powder, tofu, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

For more healthy fats: ¼ cup raw cashews, 2 tbsp flaxseed oil, 2 tbsp coconut oil, ½ avocado or 2 tbsp almond butter

7. Oct 7, 2017
    sumi

8. Oct 7, 2017
    sumi

DS harassed me for a smoothie this morning, so I tossed some strawberries, a banana and some yoghurt layered with a jammy, sweet, strawberry sauce that we got marked down at the supermarket, along with a splash of milk in there. The result was interesting and drinkable. I think I can definitely love this idea :)

I cut the rest of the strawberries and 2 of the bananas up and put them in the freezer for next time. I also got some kiwi fruit. Some combinations I found that I would like to try are:

Banana + yoghurt + kiwi.png

Fruit + oats.png

9. Oct 10, 2017
    ChickenMomma91

ChickenMomma91 Almost Self-Reliant

Following! I have a blender that hardly gets used except for salsa and pesto. Would love to use it more.

10. Oct 10, 2017
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Almost Self-Reliant

I make smoothies often, and just put in whatever I have. Mine tend to be more like @Britesea 's. Sometimes I will add one or two beets. It's fabulous for nutrition and color and mixed in with juice and yogurt, you don't get the flavor (if you're not a great fan). I do try to put spinach in often for the vitamins and iron. Any fruit works. I often throw in flax or chia seeds and sliced roasted almonds. Sometimes I use juice, sometimes coconut milk, most often yogurt or kefir. I picked up a container of powdered peanut butter at Costco, and sometimes I'll add a spoonful of that and a spoonful of cocoa with vanilla yogurt. (A little bit of cherry juice is reeeeally good with the cocoa.)
    The thing is with smoothies is you can be super flexible. Put stuff in. If it's too tart, add some juice or yogurt. Too thick? Add a liquid. Too runny? Add pb, banana, cottage cheese, spinach, fruit... and if you want the vitamins but don't like spinach, beets, tea, (or whatever), add a little and cover up the taste with something like cherry or pineapple juice, or flavored yogurt or fresh fruit. They are fast and easy and great for drinking your breakfast on the way to work.

sumi likes this.