Smoothies

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I keep thinking I should update this, but forget. Not much to update I'm afraid. I decided I dislike smoothied bananas even more than intact ones and the supermarket kindly "half price" black, rasp and strawberries on a regular basis, so those, along with natural yoghurt, milk, honey and soy protein powder is what I usually have. I added some porridge oats once and it was good, but I keep forgetting about now.

@Miss Lydia have you got recipes/ideas?

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No recipe just use what I have on hand usually frozen fruit berries/strawberries, pumpkin seeds, nuts ,whey protein powder, Nutritional yeast. I use almond or coconut milk for the base.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't the best smoothies start with ice cream and end with Kahlua? :lol: Sorry - couldn't help myself!

Just don't use really, really (like fresh outta the ground beets). They'll try to kill you....BTDH :(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't like fresh beets anyway lol. I only like them pickled! And they're such a pain to grow I don't bother with them!

I want to grow a bunch of stuff to freeze for smoothies this year. Just not beets lol

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We just toss in yogurt, fresh or frozen berries, and banana, either fresh or frozen. Wanna kick it up with sweet? add some grape or apple juice. Have not tried greens or veggies in a smoothie. Need to get more experimental.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My sister adds ground flax to her smoothies. I like just fruit and yogurt, sometimes milk or orange juice for a base. My smoothie machine (Magic Bullet) got put away for Christmas and has not made it back out of the cupboard yet.
I made ice cream and creme-de-minte smoothies in the blender last Tuesday. The rubber gasket for my blender is broken though, so no more of that for a little bit.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I started making fruit smoothies for an afternoon blood sugar/energy lift. Orange juice as base with a handful of blueberries and 2 chopped up kiwi fruit. Sometimes I throw in a small handful of bran flakes for extra fibre as well. It's delicious and gives me a great boost.

Today I couldn't find kiwi fruit in the supermarket, so I tossed in this overachiever (my hands are not very small.. that was one big strawb!)

IMG_20190124_151803.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid dairy as it doesn't sit well with me anymore . DD1 likes yogurt smoothies and I've been sneaking in spinach when I can. I'm going to try with a different base for me, but so far what I've tried has been gross lol

Latest posts