Smoothies

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I just made a smoothie using just 6oz Orange Juice, 1 Naval Orange, 1 Pink Cara Cara Orange, 1 Granny Smith Apple, 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp 100% Pure Raw Honey, and 8-10 ice cubes. It's very delicious and not too thick but thick enough.
I've been considering adding apples to mine... I should give this a try.

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Virgin Pina Colada- 1 can of crushed pineapples ( or the equivalent of chopped fresh), 1 can of coconut milk or water, a handful of ice cubes.....

Pineapple smoothie- frozen pineapples, orange juice, and ice cubes

Peach smoothie- same as pineapple

I always throw a handful of kale in as well.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
From all the articles I've read online about Kale, I'm not supposed to consume it because of having thyroid issues.
I wish I could eat it seeing how I've heard it is full of nutrients that help a body.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
From what I understand, cooked kale is not as hard on thyroid as raw kale. Has your doctor said NO kale at all, or would moderate amounts be ok?

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey Y'All!!
I'm back to making smoothies so here's what I use:
5 Tbs plain yogurt
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1 banana
1 Naval orange (or 2 mandarian oranges)
1/2 Apple
2 tsp ORGANIC Cinnamon
Put all in blender and blend until smooth than drink up. I call it "Morning Get up and Go Blast".

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
From all the articles I've read online about Kale, I'm not supposed to consume it because of having thyroid issues.
I wish I could eat it seeing how I've heard it is full of nutrients that help a body.
Kale should be okay if you are consuming adequate iodine. Kale contains a compound that inhibits absorption of iodine. If you didn't get enough iodine, or consumed huge amounts of kale, that could affect thyroid function. Kale doesn't deserve its reputation - soy, cassava, and brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower) have the same effect. Some people started consuming kale in excess during the superfood smoothie craze without realizing what they were doing to themselves.

If you limit sodium intake, you might not get enough iodine to consume kale regularly. Iodized salt (in the USA) contains 45 mg iodine per gram of salt. If you consume 3/4 teaspoon of iodized salt per day you should be fine. You can get iodine/iodide in seaweed, milk and yogurt, and smaller amounts in other foods.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hey Y'All!!
I'm back to making smoothies so here's what I use:
5 Tbs plain yogurt
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1 banana
1 Naval orange (or 2 mandarian oranges)
1/2 Apple
2 tsp ORGANIC Cinnamon
Put all in blender and blend until smooth than drink up. I call it "Morning Get up and Go Blast".
Sounds delish! I have been too lazy to make smoothies lately. You're inspiring me!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are back on smoothies here too. Kids are on spring break and they can make their own, it is fun to see what they put in them ;) yesterday I had one with spinach, blueberries, sweet potato and banana with tart cherry juice and chia seed. Yum