Snow days are perfect days to.....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Clean out your freezer, and defrost it, if you haven't already done so. No coolers involved, just package, box, bag up, everything and set it outside. DD14 and I just got our two cleaned out. I have been lax about maintaining a list of contents and "found" a package of bacon, nuts for baking, and even few packages of meat, I had long since forgotten in the 8 months since the freezer was cleaned out good. So, not only do I have a clean freezer, and know the contents, I also am able to cut down a bit of the food bill this month with "found" items I didn't know we had. I can also cut down the feed bill with a few items to give the animals, such as out of date peas, and corn I found dropped to the bottom of the chest freezer. I have been waiting for a good snow day, or at least a cold enough day, to get this done!! Now as we put everything back, I will also make, and maintain a better list of contents while reorganizing everything. This will save a good bit of money in the long run as well. Just a friendly reminder that it is a good idea to do during these yucky cold months when there is not near enough to do outside to keep us busy.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Luckily I haven't had mine long enough to have to be cleaned out-yet. How much snow did ya get? It sleeted here all night but was gone by this morning.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Probably around 3 inches fell, this a.m. maybe 1.5-2 had stuck to the car, and the rest was a slushy mess everywhere. It's REALLY muddy today, and stank, so I'm working inside ;) Now I have to put everything back and make my list. I actually had WAY more tomatoes in there than I thought I did too. Never enough tomatoes!! I'm making lasagna for supper, and have the sauce going now...MMmmmm can't wait for those summer tomatoes slathered in cheesy noodley meaty goodness :drool

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
...not do any more yard work!! Start a fire, hang your wreaths and ribbons and take a nice long break! Bring on the snow baby!

eta: fire, can't forget the fire!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Yikes, I don't even want to THINK about snow... :plbb
Ditto.

We've had a couple of skiffs that melted right away, and a week of cold wintery weather a couple of weeks back, but we're back to nice fall weather at the moment :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
bbh! :lol:

Yeah...I can't remembr the last time we got snow in November. We barely get it in December around here USUALLY that is.... :hu I was glad to get the dang freezers done though :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's a little cool today, but I was out in shorts yesterday. :cool:

(now watch it snow this week!!! :/ )

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The high today has been 35. Sunday.....was 75 :/ That's what makes it so cold!!! The drastic change makes it feel REALLY cold today.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Personally, I think a snow day is a good day to curl up in front of the fire w/a good book, some baked goodies, and a mug of hot chocolate or tea, depending on what your munchies are.