Snowblower issue - would like some thoughts

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Minnesota here. So I purchased a used snowblower at the end of last winter. It is a John Deere 826.

It starts fine and runs and did work for a little while but by the end of winter when the blades hit snow it would greatly reduce spinning power and essentially not actually throw any snow. It would continue running and sounded fine but the blades (the skinny dont stick your fingers here part) would just sit there until you unclogged all the snow or pulled it away from the snow. Essentially it slows and then halts as resistance is hit

So, any thoughts on the specific cause? I know NOTHING about snowblower repair, so am looking for some thoughts to put actions to before the snow actually starts falling. Assuming it's some loose or overtight thingy.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Loose belt? Have you done a google search? Enter the make and model #, as well as the manufacture year, along with a general description of what it's not doing right, and you might find your answer. Hubby is always researching auto DIY info, and usually gets some pretty useful info.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like a loose belt to me as well if it has one. Look to see how the motor is connected to the blades

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is the shear pin broken? To check, with the machine OFF, try turn the blades. If the blades turn at all, the shear pin is broke. Some snow blowers have just one blade that goes all the way across, some have 2 blades ( a left and a right). 2 blades means 2 shear pins.
The snowblower will run and sound like it is working fine, but the actual blade will not rotate and push the snow up the chute if the shear pin is broke. Make sure to have a few spare pins on hand also, it is frustrating to have a pin break and not be able to finish clearing snow.
Make sure to use the right size and grade of shear pin for your machine. The shear pin is made to break if you hit something too hard, like a rock or chunk of ice. Better to have the shear pin break than to break the axle. A friend of my husbands used a hardened bolt last year and now he is buyin ga new machine because it will be cheaper than getting his old one repaired from all the damage that happened when he hit a big rock and the axle broke.

Last edited:

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Minnesota here. So I purchased a used snowblower at the end of last winter. It is a John Deere 826.

It starts fine and runs and did work for a little while but by the end of winter when the blades hit snow it would greatly reduce spinning power and essentially not actually throw any snow. It would continue running and sounded fine but the blades (the skinny dont stick your fingers here part) would just sit there until you unclogged all the snow or pulled it away from the snow. Essentially it slows and then halts as resistance is hit

So, any thoughts on the specific cause? I know NOTHING about snowblower repair, so am looking for some thoughts to put actions to before the snow actually starts falling. Assuming it's some loose or overtight thingy.
I'm imagining the gear for the wheel is loose or broken. A handyman can easily identify what's going on there I bet. have you tried having it checked? you might need to. not unless you're brave enough to check it on your own.

Latest posts