So I canned my potatoes.....

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
and when I got them out of the canner 2 of them were really short on liquid. One only had 3/4 of the liquid and the other was just lower. I followed the instructions and filled them properly and left an inch headspace. Now on the one there are potatoes almost completely out of the liquid. Is that normal or okay? What caused it? They all sealed.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
When we canned our taters they kept the liquid...........

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Next time, tighten the rings a bit more. You boiled all the water out of them, then they sealed. Shouldn't hurt anything if you use them before the rest.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The water will siphon out of the jar when the pressure inside of the jar is greaer than the pressure outside.

Allow the pressure to go to zero before opening the canner. Don't try to rush things. I used to lift the pressure gauge cause I always got in a hurry and my jars often drained the liquid out till I learned my lesson.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hee hee, I did that. :hide I smelled cooked potato after it was done so I took off the weights to get it open sooner to check it. So it was probably a comination of both. It was boiling out already and then I smelled it and tried to hurry up cooling the canner too quick. The water in the jars was still boiling pretty hard when I got the lid off. The other jars turned out great though.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
Hee hee, I did that. :hide I smelled cooked potato after it was done so I took off the weights to get it open sooner to check it. So it was probably a comination of both. It was boiling out already and then I smelled it and tried to hurry up cooling the canner too quick. The water in the jars was still boiling pretty hard when I got the lid off. The other jars turned out great though.
Welcome to the "I need to be patient" club. :D I have to find something else to keep me busy while canning or this would happen to me all the time.

Great job!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have the patience to be patient!! :lol: Just ask my incubator!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I ate a jar of potatos yesterday (canned last year) that had half the water gone. They were good and I am still OK.

Patience is a virtue.

One I don't have sometimes. :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
right there with you 2dream
patience is rough to keep :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Also while the jar lids should be snug, don't over tighten them. They should still allow some steam to escape during canning.

Another "fail" of mine used to be cranking the lids on nice and tight. Then the steam inside the jar would cause the entire jar to explode and break!!

If I could mess it up ... I have. :hide Live and learn by my mistakes. ;) :p