So I canned my potatoes.....

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This reminds me of an old saying that my mother used to say to us kids al the time:
"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get"

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boogity said:
This reminds me of an old saying that my mother used to say to us kids al the time:
"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get"
I've heard that before. Can't remember who used to say it to us though. :idunno

But I love it. :)

Kind of along the lines of "Haste makes waste."

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Also while the jar lids should be snug, don't over tighten them. They should still allow some steam to escape during canning.

Another "fail" of mine used to be cranking the lids on nice and tight. Then the steam inside the jar would cause the entire jar to explode and break!!

If I could mess it up ... I have. :hide Live and learn by my mistakes. ;) :p
I had no idea that tightening them too tight may cause them to explode! It's a wonder I haven't killed myself.:D

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
The family ranch house had tomato stains on the kitchen ceiling for many years. :p I've never pressure canned anything. I'd be afraid to. I have a pressure canner, but no weight to go with it. Hubby may know where it is.
Yeah, one of my childhood homes had a big apple sauce stain on the ceiling above the kitchen range, from my aunt trying to use a pressure canner w/o knowing how. I am in the market for a canner now, so I guess it didn't scare me too bad.