So I can't keep rabbits outside!

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so peeved, apparently the city wants me to remove my hutch and rabbits by the 17th! I can have them just not outside an they want me to remove my hutch! I am so not getting rid of the hutch. They said if I don't remove it they will take me to court and fine be. That is if the rabbits live there or not. I said that I could take them inside at night still no, they did ok free ranging rabbits and chickens!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
How stupid is that! What city do you live in?

I am actually surprised, most cities are ok with rabbits.

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I live in st.catharines,ontario. Apparently we are the only city with this by-law. I'm so going to be going through the mayor on this.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats stupid. You can have chickens and rabbits running loose, but not in a hutch? Can you put up a fence to make a rabbit run?

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That seems ridiculous to me... definitely try to fight it (even if the rabbits have to live inside for a little while)... do they make people take down their dog houses too? lol... a rabbit hutch is no different than a dog house...

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How did the city find out?

Do you have a shed you could move the hutches into so they're technically inside, or a garage? And let them out during the day into a run.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
That seems ridiculous to me... definitely try to fight it (even if the rabbits have to live inside for a little while)... do they make people take down their dog houses too? lol... a rabbit hutch is no different than a dog house...
That's actually a really good point. I'd see about taking it to a hearing.

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They told me that the rabbits could just run around the yard, we are going to make a dog run as that's legal but I want to use that for the chickens. Sure my nieghbors can break in my house and sell crack in his house with kids home and they complain about rabbits.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Are you a member of BYC? they have alot of experienced people who have taken on city halls to fight bylaws on chickens. You could possibly pick up some useflu pointers there.

Crazy, I say... :barnie

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm a member of BYC because I have 4 bantoms and getting 16 chicks soon, I was either going to sell or eat the ones I didn't want( I wanted 8!) but now I'm only going to keep 4-6 layers.

They guy next door has lots and lots of dogs, one is a pitbull, which is banned! the guy had to have told them about it grr.