So I can't keep rabbits outside!

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I emailed the mayor so hopefully something can be done, rabbits are stinky keeping 5 inside will smell so bad I'll have to butcher 2 for sure!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If you have a small shed/coop you can turn this into a win situation. You could hang the cages from the ceiling, start using deep litter and turn your chickens into the space under the rabbits. This will keep down the smell and make for some great compost in the end. The chickens eat any dropped rabbit food and keep the litter fluffy and dry.

You could also suspend the cages in your garage and mount the equivalent to a drop board under the cages that will funnel droppings and urine to a bucket with a little sawdust in it. Empty daily into a nice compost bin outside, rinse, repeat.

We did this once and it only takes some strategically formed tin pieces to implement the funneling. Spray down your tin with cooking spray to facilitate a smooth slide/drop.

Good luck in your fight! :)

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The mayor actually called me yesterday! He said he didn't see why a rabbit hutch should be an issue. He's going to either give me a pardon or change the by-laws! wahoooooooo!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
THis is what I did for chickens and rabbits...the hutches are inside up top and the chickens roam below. The inside hutches are extended outside to allow the rabbits indoor and outdoor area. It was so roomy! I had 3 hutches on each side.

1z4wj1z.jpg

3502agw.jpg