So, I made this gallon of hard cider............

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok Skr8pn,

Not sure if you can use organic bottled cider for hard cider but...............

I just happened to be at the health foods store today. I passed by a lovely display of gallon jugs of apple cider. It reminded me of this thread. So I ran over and picked up some fresh raisins which I needed anyways. Now I am on a hunt for Champagne yeast.

I copied the recipe and general directions are there any tricks I should know of? I thought for some reason it only took a month but I was wrong. Bummer I was hoping it would be done by New Years. Ahh I'll shoot for Valentines Day instead. :D

Will it work??
g

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I had some cider in my fridge and I'm very slow drinking sweets, so I saw it today and the sides were bulging...

It's VERY hard cider now LOL!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Big cheater! I actually had to buy some yeast to use in mine :D They are happily bubbling away right now. I added some dried cherries and a bit of honey to each half gallon. Should be ready in a couple of weeks.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok Skr8pn,

Not sure if you can use organic bottled cider for hard cider but...............

I just happened to be at the health foods store today. I passed by a lovely display of gallon jugs of apple cider. It reminded me of this thread. So I ran over and picked up some fresh raisins which I needed anyways. Now I am on a hunt for Champagne yeast.

I copied the recipe and general directions are there any tricks I should know of? I thought for some reason it only took a month but I was wrong. Bummer I was hoping it would be done by New Years. Ahh I'll shoot for Valentines Day instead. :D

Will it work??
g
ANY cider will "work" as long as it has not been pasteurized. If you like your wine more on the sweet side, then I would add some Maple Syrup or some honey to the mix. Warm the cider a bit if your adding honey so that it gets mixed in properly, but let it cool before you throw any yeast into the must. ( Must is what it is called when you heat it up)
ANY wine yeast will work. I used champagne yeast because it was what I had already open.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Oh, you guys are putting some ideas in my head. I can get a nice gallon of unpasteurized apple juice for 5.99. I think it sure would be worth it to make that into something alcoholic ;)

I think I have that many pennies in the penny jar :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks.

I did a bit of research and found this site. It really helps to explain the process and options.

This guy seems a bit hoity toity but I think there is a happy medium in there somewhere.

http://makinghardcider.com/

Not sure where to find the yeast around here. So I will probably order through one of his links.

wish me luck.

g