So I want Goats.......

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well you can thank Wannabefree. Im jealous and I want goats. I have spent the entire day trying to plot and plan on how to convince the mother hen to go along with but in order to do that I need some evidence/research. Thats where you guys come in. I want two does, a Nubian cross preferably. I'd like to raise them after they are weaned. So I can get to know them and they can get used to me. Im gonna list a bunch of ideas/questions and if you can answer them PLEASE do.

COSTS
How much would two 8 week old doelings cost?
How much would feed cost per month for two does?

THE GOATS
I had a dream about them last night and what I did was I had places around the yard where I would tie them up and let them graze for the day, and rotate it out. NOW in reality would this work? I wouldnt do it on rainy days or snowy/cold days.
Would an 8 by 6 building be enough room for 2 does?
What do you feed them? I have a pretty good idea.
What kind of equipment do I really need?
Any other tips or suggestions?

THANKS A GAJILLION

BBuff

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
all this goat talk is driving me crazy, since I have wanted some and can't get them.... *sigh* I'll be reading along here with you, even if it is only a dream for me

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
AL said:
all this goat talk is driving me crazy, since I have wanted some and can't get them.... *sigh* I'll be reading along here with you, even if it is only a dream for me
I figure thats all it will be for me, if I can catch her in a really good mood it may happen........

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I don't know if this is kosher but when I was growing up, we had poor fences so we would chain the goats on a long chain to a 10 foot log. It was light enough that they could drag it around a little bit throughout the day but they stayed where they were supposed to. Not sure on the other answers to your questions though.

I think Hen has hers in a fairly small barn.

There have been a lot of goats on the lexington craigslist lately in the farm and garden section. In fact, there were 2- 7 month old does earlier today for $150 for the pair...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
I don't know if this is kosher but when I was growing up, we had poor fences so we would chain the goats on a long chain to a 10 foot log. It was light enough that they could drag it around a little bit throughout the day but they stayed where they were supposed to. Not sure on the other answers to your questions though.

I think Hen has hers in a fairly small barn.

There have been a lot of goats on the lexington craigslist lately in the farm and garden section. In fact, there were 2- 7 month old does earlier today for $150 for the pair...
IF we get any they will come off of craigslist..........

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Around here, you can expect to pay about a$100 per goat, non-papered. Yes, 8x6 would be enough, but hten you will have to figure out when they kid. I tied mine up on leashes before too, but ONLY when I was there to supervise. they can get tangled up and get into some situations. YOu dont have to feed grain, Free cuts weeds and such from around her property for the goats, I did too while I had them.

goats are escape artists. They will seek out trouble, and if they get out, they will eat your cedars, roses, and what have you.

when you get to milking, you will need equipment for that.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
James,

It depends on the breed and type goat as per the cost of goat. If you want a milker buy a milk goat breed. It would help to know what you want them for. Basically all goats are dual purpose and good for homestead but some are better milkers, and some fill out better for meat. Nubians, like I have are the best of both types IMO. They're as large as a typical whitetail deer, and give good high butterfat milk in pretty good quantity. Look at the parents of any young goat you buy and assess them according to the parents, because you can never tell about a young goat what they will be when grown. You want to look at temperament, size, udder for milk goats, etc. if at all possible.

Tying them out is not the best idea, they get to grazing and get all tangled very easily...ask me how I know :p I wouldn't tie one out without being able to check on it every hour or so. LOTS of work!!! I had to untangle mine every 45 minutes :rolleyes:

Feed cost will depend on what you plan to feed them. Milk breeds in milk will require more feed to keep up the production. They also need salt/mineral blocks.

Two Nubian cross does should run you around $50-75 each. the breed means nothing if the udders aren't well placed and well attached.

Here is where I did most of my research on goats James. I hope your mom lets you get some!! They are so much fun :love

Sorry I enticed you to want them so badly :lol: I had to wait MONTHS to get mine :th PURE TORTURE!!! But it was worth the wait ;)

www.fiascofarm.com

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I just want em for milk, DP doesnt really matter in this area. Okay I have another question. If I did tie them up, and they were in a clear spot and were spaced a good distance from each other. Would it work better? Thats the only grazing option I have at the moment, any other grazing ideas?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I forgot a couple of your questions....

Goats don't need elaborate housing, but they MUST HAVE a place that is warm, and more importantly DRY. If they have to stay on wet ground, they are more likely to get hoof rot, and it is difficult and tedious to have to treat, and STINKY. So, warm, dry, equals content goats.

You'll need a good pair of shears for hoof trimming as well. It never hurts to brush them out either if they range much their coats can get pretty nasty at times if they have very long hair, plus they enjoy the attention. For milking, a stanchion(which I don't have YET), a milk pail, rags and warm water to clean the udders before milking. Might want to have some bag balm handy as well. That's all i can think f at the moment...

Feed...right now I am on a purchased grain mix, and hay but am planning on weaning them off and putting them on a homemade mix of fresh grasses and hay plus acorns(YES goats LOVE them as much as deer do!!) and a few occassional grains such as oat, wheat, and or barley if I can find some. Mostly grasses and such though.

When you do get some...find out the feed they may have been on and try to get the same thing and GRADUALLY wean them off the old stuff and onto what you want them eating. They have sensitive digestive flora and a major change can mess them up and give them the scours big time. BTDT with my first goats and then they got a hold of rhododendron and I had to do that drench for them off that website I gave you. write that recipe down!!! It's a godsend if they get anything poisonous to them by accident! Mine were better in just a couple days with that treatment, no casualties, and I WAS SOOO RELIEVED! LOL!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I just want em for milk, DP doesnt really matter in this area. Okay I have another question. If I did tie them up, and they were in a clear spot and were spaced a good distance from each other. Would it work better? Thats the only grazing option I have at the moment, any other grazing ideas?
I got one that I thought of doing. Tie out a rope between two trees and clip a shorter leash type lead from them to the run line. That way they have an area to graze, but can't get tangled so easily. OR the idea of tying them out to something like a log was not really a bad idea. I might tie them to a couple tires instead if they are small and couldn't drag a log. Just heavy enough that they can't just take off would be adequate.

Latest posts