So I want Goats.......

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My 2 goats are just pet right now, and they don't have a large house, maybe 4x4. It's big enough to shelter them. It has a dirt floor since that's easy to clean. I do put straw in it for bedding, which of course they eat. I'm not sure how large the actual pen is, but I do let them out at times-but only if I'm going to supervise.

If I have an area that I want cleaned up, I put up a temp pen. This pen consists of 2 cattle panels that have been cut in half and several step in posts as well as something to connect the ends together. I'll put a dish (not a bucket since they can tip it over) of water in there, then put them in it. I make sure they'll be in the shade. Then, when they're done eating in that area, I'll move it. The reason the cattle panels are cut in half is because it's much easier to move them. I may get a couple more and cut them in half also. Then, I can make the temp pen 2x as large.

Just a word of caution-don't put them any where NEAR a plant you don't want them to eat. Believe me, they'll find a way. :/ (Ask me how I know.)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
My 2 goats are just pet right now, and they don't have a large house, maybe 4x4. It's big enough to shelter them. It has a dirt floor since that's easy to clean. I do put straw in it for bedding, which of course they eat. I'm not sure how large the actual pen is, but I do let them out at times-but only if I'm going to supervise.

If I have an area that I want cleaned up, I put up a temp pen. This pen consists of 2 cattle panels that have been cut in half and several step in posts as well as something to connect the ends together. I'll put a dish (not a bucket since they can tip it over) of water in there, then put them in it. I make sure they'll be in the shade. Then, when they're done eating in that area, I'll move it. The reason the cattle panels are cut in half is because it's much easier to move them. I may get a couple more and cut them in half also. Then, I can make the temp pen 2x as large.

Just a word of caution-don't put them any where NEAR a plant you don't want them to eat. Believe me, they'll find a way. :/ (Ask me how I know.)
I will have to be careful about that if I get them.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Yep I forgot straining the milk!! Some sort of straining is a must. I am just going to build a small milking stand, just because I want one :lol: Nothing elaborate, but functional. I got a milk can at a yard sale for a buck or I would just milk into something I already have on hand too. I don't think those folks even knew what it was :lol: sold it to me for a buck, looked brand new...everywhere I have seen them they run between $20-30!! i would NOT pay THAT for a milk catcher!!!
It's amazing how a simple comment brings back the memories. My earliest memory of my Grandpa's diary farm is of me putting the filter in the strainer bowl-thingie on the top of the bulk talk that the raw milk was dumped into after milking. After he passed, I wanted just one of the old milking stools, but the situation wouldn't let me ask... :(

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Wannabefree said:
Yep I forgot straining the milk!! Some sort of straining is a must. I am just going to build a small milking stand, just because I want one :lol: Nothing elaborate, but functional. I got a milk can at a yard sale for a buck or I would just milk into something I already have on hand too. I don't think those folks even knew what it was :lol: sold it to me for a buck, looked brand new...everywhere I have seen them they run between $20-30!! i would NOT pay THAT for a milk catcher!!!
It's amazing how a simple comment brings back the memories. My earliest memory of my Grandpa's diary farm is of me putting the filter in the strainer bowl-thingie on the top of the bulk talk that the raw milk was dumped into after milking. After he passed, I wanted just one of the old milking stools, but the situation wouldn't let me ask... :(
That's sad. You should have been able to get a stool. Circumstances stink sometimes :(

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Thanks for posting the stuff on the feed. I can get really good grass hay for them for free. Then I was thinking some rolled oats every few days with some cracked corn. Then I can expand my sprouting stuffs too. Plus I do have a yard clipping and acorn abundance............
Just saw this...no acorns for goats and no lawn mower clippings....the acorns will make them sick and the lawn clippings can be dangerous as they are very rich and the fine chopping from the lawn mower mixes poisonous with delicious and they can't always sort it out.

I go for walks with the dogs and bring loppers or a pair of clippers and something to tie my bundles up with, and I clip branches and goldenrod. I tie it in bundles as I go, and when I get home, I hang the bundles from snaps up high so the goats can browse normally. I research any new plant I find and I know what is growing near me and along my walks. The goats LOOOOVE it! This type of thing would be an excellent supplement to grass hay. If you are feeding the cows and find a bale or part of a bale that has weeds and things like raspberry canes in it, set that aside for the goats...they love it.

If you have plenty of free hay, your costs would be minimal. Show your mom some youtube videos of baby goats playing. Works every time.... Look for one called Dale, Jr. It is adorable.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks!

I hope I can twist her arm. I will find that video and book mark. We're going to have the 'talk' tommorow after I make coffee and fix her some breakfast. I usually do make coffee but never breakfast....

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
One thing real quick. I did not read the whole thread :D
Goats do not graze like cows. They browse just like moose. They eat shrubs, weeds and bark off trees.
Grass is a last resort.

I can't answer the cost thing for you, as a doeling up here costs anywhere from $150-$250 each!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Free are you sure on the acorns? My goats I had before devoured them like candy willingly as they had 3 white oaks in their area, and plenty of other browse. Deer eat acorns, and have much the same system as a goat. I just can't reason that out :hu Can you tell me why they aren't supposed to have them? Mine never got sick from acorns.

ETA: I use a reel type mower with a bagger. No fumes mixed in with my grass clipping or I wouldn't feed them either James.