So I was already paranoid...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
And then I had to watch this morning's press conference.

YIKES!!!

Between health care and cap & trade...we are so doomed.

I am so glad I have my garden in and I am going in on a community garden with a few friends.

I need to stock up on meat but my FAMILY EATS IT FASTER THAN I CAN BUY IT!!!!

:barnie

I have told them time and time again. A FULL FREEZER IS NOT A "CHALLENGE"!!!!! Boys!

I need to grow some stuff for duck feed as well. I am thinking of over seeding the lawn with white clover. Should give them some good forage.

I have more ducks on the way, so I will have good egg production for fall.

That's about all I can do on my little suburban plot. Maybe when we redo the roof I can talk hubby in to setting it up to be roof garden capable....hummmmmmm

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you have a lawn you could trade it in for more of a food forest approach. I'm working on getting my hubby to "see the light". He hates mowing the grass and I am allergic to it.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
"I once again call on Congress to send me legislation that places a market-based cap on carbon pollution, which will then drive incent for the kind of innovation and dynamic, new clean-energy economy that can create jobs and new businesses all across America."

"On health care, as Speaker Pelosi just mentioned, the House is working to pass a comprehensive health care reform bill by July 31st, before they head out for the August recess. And that's the kind of urgency and determination that we need to achieve what I believe will be historic legislation."

Transcript....
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press...ter-meeting-with-House-Democratic-leadership/

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Right on the heels of the announcement that Medicare is going bankrupt sooner than thought. Now the government will have 2 health systems they can't run .....

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Oh no the sky is falling!!
Maybe not now, but sometime in the future it will be.

Both Social Security and Medicare are projected to go insolvent sooner than expected and we are being told that the new health care plan will cost more than 2 trillion.

This years' deficit will be 1.8 trillion with the Federal government borrowing fifty cents for each dollar it spends and that (according to the Congressional Budget Office) we will be in the hole for 9.7 trillion at the end of 2014. A trillion here and a trillion there, and pretty soon it starts to add up to real money.

China and other lenders and just about cut of lending to us, so we now have the Federal Reserve printing money, and then borrowing it from themselves.

IMAO, we are building a house of cards that our children will have to live in.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't get it. Why is creating jobs by investing in clean energy a bad thing? Saving some of the Earth resources shouldn't be a Liberal/Conservative issue. Just because you recycle a can or two doesn't make you a demon, heathen, welfare loving liberal.
And what's wrong with some health care reform? Who HASN'T complained about the 5 dollar aspirin the hospital gives you? Sounds to me like we've put the fear of God into some of these insurance companies and they're already starting to promise some reforms if we'll just get off their backs. The CEOs of some of those insurance companies and big business health care places are starting to have their salaries investigated. I've never spoken to anyone who didn't have some kind of problem getting something or other paid for by their insurance company so the threat of the government taking over my insurance company or my big business health care hospital is not exactly going to turn my hair white from fear.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
You bet you better be growing as much of your own food as you possibly can, but I really don't think the reasoning has much to do with what Obama or anyone else is doing in D.C. I am more worried about the on-going droughts in prime food growing regions, and dwindling resources.

Wifezilla -- try growing oats instead of grass in your lawn. Oat grass looks similar to turf grass, but the ducks just LOVE the seed heads. :D And you can store some of the oats for winter feeding.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Why is creating jobs by investing in clean energy a bad thing?
Because of reality and math...the ever present enemies of touchy-feely do-gooderism.

"In framing his recovery plan, President Obama often refers to Spain's green job creation as a model. Unfortunately, a report from the Institute Juan de Mariana in Madrid demonstrates that subsidies from the Spanish government destroyed employment elsewhere in the economy.

The study found that total subsidies to ``create'' each green job averaged 571,138 euros (over $600, 000) while those for wind farms exceeded one million euros. By contrast, the private sector generates jobs for a fraction of the cost of subsidized green ones.

While only one of 10 green jobs is permanent, each green job ``created'' led to about 2.2 other jobs being lost. In terms of alternative energy programs, each green megawatt of power installed led to a loss of nearly six jobs on average."
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2009/05/137_44758.html

Just to clarify, this isn't an anti-Obama thread. This is an anti-goverment interference in things they don't know a damn thing about thread. The Republicans were taking us on a road to hell too. They were just in the slow lane....same destination however.