So I was already paranoid...

Reaction score
Mackay said:
So who should have the guns? tell me again?

But in Texas you have the right to blow away anyone who comes on your property and threatens you....but I don't think I need a machine gun to do that, do I?

I think that if I ever needed a gun to protect me from my government that I would be lost anyway. Their guns are so terribly big and I'm just not ready to purchase a tank or armed helicopter. :ep
Actually in Tx you have the right to blow away somebody that has burglarized your neighbors house and is outside leaving. I never understood why people thought they needed automatic weapons. After the second round you are off target. They are good for indiscriminate mass killing though. So for home protection they would be good for zombies trying to eat your brains. As far as trying to protect yourself against the govt. That's suicide like the wackos in Waco. Good luck with that one.

I lived ion Ft Worth for 7 years. South Dallas is a bad place.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
My elderly In-laws recently had a home invasion.
This was in a rural area at about midnight as they slept.
The intruders tried other doors before kicking in the heavy solid wood front door off it's hinges.
My MIL had risen to get a drink of water in the kitchen when the door crashed in. She yelled to FIL about the noise. The intruders ran out, leaving in a car.
They have shotguns in the house, but it was their voices that scared the idiots off. It wasn't the guns. There was no time to get one.

They were told by LE that home invasions are usually by someone you know; relative, neighbor, etc. Knowing this, could you, in the seconds it takes to react, blast away a face you know?

Being guarded with information about your home, possessions, plans would be a good general idea, in addition to your gun collection.

Reaction score
I read a little pamphlet put out by the NRA. It said the best defense in the case of a home invasion is to have a stout door to your room. Keep it locked and if invaded hole up in your room and yell at the invader that you have a gun and the police have been called while taking cover in your room in case they fire through the door or break it down. Made good sense except that the most precious possessions I have sleep in 4 different rooms.

Ten years ago DW and I were awakened by the sound of the front door opening. I grabbed my 45 and went out to investigate. I was scared, the front door was hanging open. I saw a movement in the kitchen and started to raise the 45. I then recognized the movement was my 6 year old son who never ever came out of his room at night. He was sleep walking and had managed to unlock both locks on the front door before going in to the kitchen. It freaked me out. Knowing that this situation was much more likely than an intruder, I sold my 45. I am thinking about getting a small shotgun for varmits and zombies though.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sylvie said:
They were told by LE that home invasions are usually by someone you know; relative, neighbor, etc. Knowing this, could you, in the seconds it takes to react, blast away a face you know?

So true. We knew that our next door neighbor, a really sweet old lady who was like a grandma to my boys, we knew her son had been stealing from us for quite a while, stuff like ladders, bikes, weed eater and then one day I came home and found our house broken into and all my inherited jewelry from grandparents stolen...I was so sad.

We got an alarm system then.

Then one day I came home in the middle of the day when not expected and I saw him walking down the street with our Trek mountain bike. I ran in the house and called the police. Then I went out and saw him heading down the alley and I went after him in my car. When I got to him I sweet talked him (he's kinda stupid) to putting the bike in the trunk of my car and going home to talk about it.
He went for it.

Got him in the house and seconds later the cops arrived. He started to bolt out the back door but I slammed the door on his arm and held him and started screaming till the cops go in the house.

He went to jail and for the last 2 years we were there we didn't see him again!

I felt like WONDERWOMAN! :celebrate

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Does ammo have a shelf life?
Generally it doesn't. Keep it moisture free and and away from oils and solvents, and it should last a very long time. I have some .308 of Korean War vintage, and it shoots perfect.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH and I went out on Saturday and purchased a 22 rifle (we currently also have a shot gun, a 38, a 44 and a 357). We wanted the 22 because the ammo is inexpensive and so it is less costly to stockpile. It also is good for hunting small things, such as pesky squirls and waskelly wabbits (both of which are good eating especially in hard times).

The 22 was on sale at Gander Mountain, it came with a scope and a 10 round clip. It was a good deal. I have read on some threads that ammo was getting hard to get. We had no problem a Gander Mountain. I also did not think a price of $24.99 for 525 rounds of 22 ammo was a bad price. We bought several boxes to start our stock pile. The prices on shot gun shells didn't seem to be a bad price either.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
DH and I went out on Saturday and purchased a 22 rifle (we currently also have a shot gun, a 38, a 44 and a 357). We wanted the 22 because the ammo is inexpensive and so it is less costly to stockpile. It also is good for hunting small things, such as pesky squirls and waskelly wabbits (both of which are good eating especially in hard times).

The 22 was on sale at Gander Mountain, it came with a scope and a 10 round clip. It was a good deal. I have read on some threads that ammo was getting hard to get. We had no problem a Gander Mountain. I also did not think a price of $24.99 for 525 rounds of 22 ammo was a bad price. We bought several boxes to start our stock pile. The prices on shot gun shells didn't seem to be a bad price either.
We have 3- 22's, 2 rifles and a hand gun. When we started stocking up last year at this time, it was $11.99 for a brick of 550. We bought A LOT before the price ran up. ;)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
We have 3- 22's, 2 rifles and a hand gun. When we started stocking up last year at this time, it was $11.99 for a brick of 550. We bought A LOT before the price ran up. ;)
Thats what I paid for our 22 last September. I bought 2 boxes. ... I had forgotten we had that gun...so I guess we got three. Walmart has good prices.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mackay said:
sylvie said:

So true. We knew that our next door neighbor, a really sweet old lady who was like a grandma to my boys, we knew her son had been stealing from us for quite a while, stuff like ladders, bikes, weed eater and then one day I came home and found our house broken into and all my inherited jewelry from grandparents stolen...I was so sad.

We got an alarm system then.

Then one day I came home in the middle of the day when not expected and I saw him walking down the street with our Trek mountain bike. I ran in the house and called the police. Then I went out and saw him heading down the alley and I went after him in my car. When I got to him I sweet talked him (he's kinda stupid) to putting the bike in the trunk of my car and going home to talk about it.
He went for it.

Got him in the house and seconds later the cops arrived. He started to bolt out the back door but I slammed the door on his arm and held him and started screaming till the cops go in the house.

He went to jail and for the last 2 years we were there we didn't see him again!

I felt like WONDERWOMAN! :celebrate
Have you thought of moving or can you?
Seriously cause it sounds like a tough area you are in?
I am lucky, I am in a "good area" for now.

just wondering?????????????????

Latest posts