So im afraid i have an addiction..

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
For you I would say the long weekend in May...usually after the full moon. For me it is the first week of June :rolleyes: too far away!
Ohhh noo, I will be away that weekend! LOL oh my...I can always set up a cold frame if I plant earlier I suppose...lots of hay bales around here,

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Farmerlor, she's Canadian. That's 3 Celsius.....approaching 40 F, I think. I lived on the border for years and all the bank clock/thermometers showed both US and Canadian time and temp. It could be disconcerting sometimes!
Oh duh!!! She's in my same growing zone so I didn't even think that she could be NORTH of me. Silly Lor. So yeah, you should be good to go!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Every plant that got bone meal and fish oil was dug up by skunks and who knows what else last year. Just sayin...!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
We're in zone 5a/5b (kind of on the boarder but we'll say 5a) in Ontario and I was wondering when I should plant out my started plants.
You're going to have trouble with that watermelon -- it shouldn't be out for another 4 wks at the earliest. Same for the pepper but peppers do well in containers so I'd just pot it up in a decent sized habitat and regard it as a container plant.

The tomatoes can go out now IF YOU BUY WALL-O-WATER type protectors and use them to warm the soil up for a few days or a week before putting the tomatoes in the ground (tomatoes will have to be hardened off anyhow). If you do not have wall-o-waters or anything like that, I would suggest prewarming the ground as much as possible (like with clear plastic) and remember that tomatoes cannot tolerate any frost inside whatever you protect them with on frosty nights, and they will just sit and sulk until your night temps are reliably out of the 40s F. People traditionally put their tomatoes out on Victoria Day weekend, not that that necessarily means all that much.

Nectarines are hardy for you?????

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
lupinfarm said:
We're in zone 5a/5b (kind of on the boarder but we'll say 5a) in Ontario and I was wondering when I should plant out my started plants.
You're going to have trouble with that watermelon -- it shouldn't be out for another 4 wks at the earliest. Same for the pepper but peppers do well in containers so I'd just pot it up in a decent sized habitat and regard it as a container plant.

The tomatoes can go out now IF YOU BUY WALL-O-WATER type protectors and use them to warm the soil up for a few days or a week before putting the tomatoes in the ground (tomatoes will have to be hardened off anyhow). If you do not have wall-o-waters or anything like that, I would suggest prewarming the ground as much as possible (like with clear plastic) and remember that tomatoes cannot tolerate any frost inside whatever you protect them with on frosty nights, and they will just sit and sulk until your night temps are reliably out of the 40s F. People traditionally put their tomatoes out on Victoria Day weekend, not that that necessarily means all that much.

Nectarines are hardy for you?????

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
Nothing will be planted outside until I am sufficiently sure we arent going to dip down again lol, I dont want to lose my plants! I think the melons will do fine... its very sunny where they'll be living, and our peppers were great last year in the soil..despite being planted late.

As for the nectarines..they're zone 5 -20 and below apparently...I can wrap them, but yanno our apples were the same deal and they're doing fab this year, i think the harder winter did them good.

Victoria day long weekend yeah... No biggy! We have a grow light in the office and they can always go in the cold frame until then which is VERY warm... surrounded by hay bales, with a glass door, and chicken poop/straw on the bottom..its like a darn hot house in there.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
I prefer to fertilize organically and use a seaweed extract that the plants really love. Your tomatoes will thrive on a little epsom salt and bone meal with a light drink of seaweed once a week or so.
Farmerlor, can you tell me the formula for this epsom salt mix. You put the bone mean in it too? or apply separately?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Lupinfarm......We call that a good start down here!!
Your plants look GREAT!!!

Latest posts