So is the s*%t starting to hit the fan for you?

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
It would be a lot easier to enjoy those little moments if we didn't have to worry about our future survival.....
That being said......I ordered 150 gallons of off road diesel this morning, and 30 cases of 10w30 this afternoon. If nothing else, I got the price locked in as a hedge against tomorrow.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."
What do you do that you need 360 qts of oil, just curious. What is off road diesel as opposed to regular diesel?

I lived in Calif during the 1978 oil crunch. They had odd/even days depending on the last digit of your license plate. There used to be intersections all over the place that had a station on each corner. At 5 in the morning lines would snake out on to the streets for blocks. Then after you sat in line for 2 hours the tanks would run dry at the station. It really sucked.

I can see that coming if the Mid East situation gets a lot worse. Of course we've been juggling that for ages and talking about energy independence. Every time someone gets in office and starts programs to help the situation the next guy comes along and destroys all the progress. Gas will just have to get more expensive and rationed before anything meaningful is done. I figure once it hits 20.00 a gallon they might decide it would be a good idea to develop alternative energy sources. As usual it's all about money.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Things are getting better for some people. I talk to a lot of people in different parts of the metro area in the course of my job. A lot of them are 6 figure salary types. In August of 2008 when we were losing 760,000 jobs per month at the height of the collapse, I saw a lot of these 6 figure guys at home living on their savings and out of work. These days those same guys have jobs and a new BMW in the driveway.

The big bank chains are doing quite well thanks to TARP. Same goes for the stock market traders that survived the last few months of 2008.

As usual it's the people with 5 figure salaries that are in bad shape. The people in Wisconsin are more than happy to accept all the terms of the bill that is trying to be passed except for giving up their right to collective bargaining. Unfortunately that right being terminated is the main reason for the bill in the first place. Once the unions are all gone then it will be much easier to get rid of the middle class and transfer that money up the line.

Therein lies the scary part. I really think that the grand scheme doesn't include anything for the lower 98%. Watch it play out over the next few years. By the time people realize how badly they have been duped it may be too late. I sure hope not. I would rather be optimistic.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
The way I have it figured when the stuff finally DOES hit the fan most of us here will just start raking it around in our gardens. :p The fan blades should help to disperse it evenly. :cool:
Way to recycle, Farmfresh! Good plan! :clap